Daihatsu 2001 Cuore L701 building a better 'safer' car

lots of things work, only some need more effort.
steel brush on a drill or disccutter work perfectly just make sure to clean them well.

1 Like

By the way do you have a pic of your ride?

Build log will follow soon!

2 Likes

Look forward to it :+1:

So now 7-10 working days wait time…

2 Likes

ohh nice mate, exciting!

OK I would like to start ringing around to wreckers for brake calipers. The Copen calipers will require a rim/wheel change and new tyre set which I would prefer not to atm.
Does anyone know the make and model of the calipers for a Sirion GTvi so I can be sure I am getting what I want?
I have a Daihatsu wreckers about 4-5KM from home and they have a few Sirion’s in the yard but I assume the GTvi calipers will be different from the other variants of Sirion?

Should be the same on all M100 Sirions whether 3cyl or 4cyl.

2 Likes

I am bit confused with this so a 2004 Sirion (M100RS) having a motor EJ-DE is going to have better brake calipers than my 2001 Cuore (L700S) with the same motor (EJ-DE) and those calipers would be the same as that found on a Sirion GTvi (1.3L K3-VE2)?

That is why I was trying to find the Sirion GTvi caliper technical specs.

I was able to find a detailed technical spec table for the Sirion M300RS up to M301LS and of note the pad area (as well as disc size) on the later is “Pad area [cm2/piece] 35cm” compared to 30cm explaining the increased braking force potential;

This was the sort of table/DATA I was looking for with the M100/M101 series but are yet to find it?!?

All Australian delivered m100 have the same front brakes is my experience @234mm

1 Like

Which matches with the DBA 495S - Street T2 Slotted specs for the Sirion (Diameter (mm) 234). Speaking of which SCA has them on sale (today and tommorow) for $130 ea. seems like a good price?

I also got a quote for calipers at $75 ea. but the place seemed a bit desperate and asked ‘how much do you want to offer’ and I said I would call him back.

1 Like

I have been able to verify the below by using the SCA site above and selecting the Cuore and review the ‘!’ on a rotor and repeating for the Sirion. Of note there does not seem to be any difference between the GTvi or standard Sirion, both have rotors of 234mm; Cuore L700 disc is 211mm, Sirion M100+ is 234mm.

So adding a Sirion caliper to the Cuore mount (bolts straight in) the potential disc goes from 211mm disc to a 234mm disc?

I think that should be right.

Cool thread man, the silver is insanely clean. I thought I’d add my two cents here. I think for you sirion brakes are the best. GTVI and standard are the same from what I understand. They’re a little bigger than stock Cuore but more importantly are vented disks rather then solid. I went with Copen brakes cause I already had 14" wheels (the smallest wheel that fits over them) and I track my car alot and have tyres that can use that extra braking power. The difference you’ll feel will be massive. While it does add to the cost I would really recommend you get them rebuilt like I did. On The Brakes would be able to help you out.

Feel free to get in contact if you need info on anything else!

2 Likes

The car was garaged for many years but we moved house and it has a bit of cosmetic surface rust in one of the roof rails that doesn’t have the rubber which I will get onto soon.

Thanks heaps for the tips. I have a couple of caliper reconditioning places locally and will be calling them Tuesday. So the stock wheels will fit the Sirion calipers and DBA T2 rotors?? From what I have seen from some performance brake sites you want the rims to be ~ 4" larger than the rotor, so 234mm = 9.2". Anyway I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I should add I came across this technical page on Sirion wheels and many were 13";

So that left me confident with the Sirion calipers with a Cuore rim.

I note in your thread you did some shopping at SCA - they do price matching if you wanted to pick up locally from them and this place will beat them on most if not all prices I have seen so far;
https://www.sparespro.com.au/
They are doing the DBA T2 495S for $120ea;
https://www.sparespro.com.au/dba-brake-rotor~189133
Compared to SCA $163;

So I am going to pop into my local SCA on Tuesday with a list of parts and show them and get them beaten;
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on/demandware.store/Sites-supercheap-au-Site/en_AU/PartsGuide-Show

1 Like

I move around between a few places. I got my DBA T2’s from Sparesbox, not sure on the exact price. SCA might price match.

Yep you’ll all good. The Sirion ones will fit under your stock 13’ wheels. I remember you mentioning you wanted to get braided lines. Keep in mind, even though you are getting sirion calipars. You reuse the Cuore lines. So if you plan on getting brainded ones, you still get Cuore lines.

1 Like

I found this kit and it is around the corner and the price seems right;

I reviewed the Dixcel pads you selected and I was thinking EC as the unit won’t be doing track work or Bendix DB1380GCT. Any suggestions where to source the Dixcel from in Australia? I use their website and found the Sirion (1st gen.) is called the Storia in Japan and put that in (98-04) and come up with;
http://www.dixcelaustralia.com.au/partdetail/part-id/6482
Reviewing the Japanese website that is the correct model number - we have a good friend coming over from Japan in a week or two might ask her to get them for me;
https://www.rhdjapan.com/dixcel-front-brake-pads-type-ec-max-mira-gino-move-naked-opti-storia-yrv-duet.html

So that whole kit just bolted straight in and you didn’t need to remove the old top hat units?

im not sure what you mean?

So with the old front suspension did you need to remove their top hats (the top mounting section) to put on the new front suspension or did it already have the top mounting section and can slide up and get bolted in at the top.

Basically pull out the old front suspension and it can go straight into the bin as the new suspension was complete?

Sorry for the confusion - the pictures from their website BC Racing are not clear or accurate.

How did you setup the 30 levels of damping? Go mid or hard or soft?

I yanked the old suspension out and put it straight in the bin. new suspension came complete with tops and everything.
Only i ordered new rubber seats top and bottom for the rear suspension (oem daihatsu). Its not a must but the new springs make allot more noise.

For the setup i didnt change the preload but adjusted the ride height and dampening.
For dampening i went to the middle 15, ill try this on track.
For road use i went 3 clicks softer allround wich makes it allot smoother.

Mind though my l700is k3ve2 swapped, so the front is heavyer, also the back of the car is empty (no seats).

Supsension setup is allot of trail and error. Good luck!

1 Like