Daihatsu 2001 Cuore L701 building a better 'safer' car

F…k you chronic back pain and f…k you depression…I am coming back but I have had several LARGE monkies on my back that just wouldn’t let up over the last 6-8months and then ‘along came COVID-19’…but I’m a fighter and I’m ready for round 2 and this car still needs work done…

3 Likes

dont give up mat I know only too well how it is. I ruined my back years ago and the depression that goes with it is a batlle. Just do what you ca when you can. I still do this years later. If I overdo it I pay for it. It is a learning curve and it will get more manageable just hang in there.

2 Likes

Quite a few of us have been there with severe depression. Do something you really enjoy everyday, even if only for a little while. Helped me to wake up and focus on that one little thing or else I’d never have gotten up.

2 Likes

It is an incredibly difficult and challenging journey and thankfully I have had some awesome support from the PA Hospital Chronic Pain Management Clinic they have a fantastic team which can make a massive difference in how you learn, manage and even begin to accept the pain.

One of the hardest things is trying to fight it and thinking you are going to magically fix it somehow that is when the depression can become overwhelming as your are in this constant losing battle. But if you can finally accept that it is going to be a part of your life from that point on that is when you can make some meaningful inroads into both the pain management but also the mental health (fear, anxiety and depression).

The best people I have also found are ‘Exercise Physiologists’ who can work with you and help design and exercise program to target different parts of the body and allow you to get mobility and conditioning back and start to improve the quality of life. QUT has a clinic where you can see the final year students studying to be Exercise Physiologists and they help you create a plan etc. and the cost is $15, rather than seeing one in a private consultancy at $100/hr.

@Mr_Gormsby We moved closer to a Sports Center that has several swimming pools and I can do a lot of hydrotherapy in a low impact environment. Sadly they had closed down for 4 months because of COVID-19 but they have been open since the 13.07.20 and I started a graduated return process and are making some big inroads in the rehab once again and that makes a massive difference to the mood and mental health. Hopefully next week they will have their outdoor pool repaired and working and I can get back into there. It is 25m and 1.4m depth the whole way so I can run forwards and backwards, crab walk, and do 3-4 different swim strokes to mix it right up and have a good ‘complex’ high resistance, low impact session/s. Just before they had to close I was doing 60 laps and it was really helping with the rehab and mood. I love the pool nowadays as you can really switch off from everything else for a while especially when your swimming as you just need to focus on breathing, stroke, kick, etc. and the ripples across the pool surface and being underwater can be very relaxing - it is my ‘go to place’.

4 Likes

Mountain biking was a huge thing that gave my head a break from my thoughts. I’ve ridden for years and had a serious decade of high-level comp. I was not enjoying it any more with my depression. What I had not realised was the necessary focus was giving my head a break from other thoughts. Plus the physical activity was helping me get just a little bit of better sleep. One of my best mates made me get out on the bike and set rules about things we’d talk about and he pushed me to focus on the ridding. Took ages but I finally began to see clearly that two or three hours on the bike gave my mind “rest”. Then I started to look forward to it. My girl friend and closest mates made sure I didn’t lock myself away and eventually I began to look forward to seeing them again. With the things that had been happening for me that got me “down” it was the eventual inability to sleep and overwhelming tiredness from my own thoughts that got me into total despair/hopelessness. Fantastic that you have the pools and swimming. I am excitted to hear that.

4 Likes

Talking about it can make a big difference because it means you are starting to confront it and maybe begin trying to deal with it. I have a bunch of ‘online gaming’ friends and I told them I was struggling about 2months ago and they have all been really supportive and 1 started calling ever 2nd day what are you doing get online and have a chat etc. that has been helpful.

2 Likes

How are things going? With you and the car. Have you finally settled on which setting the suspension should be?

BoldEagle,

very nice thread you got here.
I’m still probably in the process of breaking in my BC coilovers, and also trying to feel the difference between the damper settings. Currently 18 in front and 15 for rear. And I’m loving it. I’ll try to drop the height of the car just to try the slammed look and take photos :).

Also, I used my RSR lowering spring for the rear instead of the BC spring and adjustable height seats. But I am also using a thick rubber spring seat I bought from that Malaysian website that Luke suggested. Current height of the car is the same when it’s wearing the RSR springs.

One of these days I might also do the rear brake lines, still am a lazy bugger :slight_smile:

Cheers!,
Vic

2 Likes

I think this is something that will change over time. Last time and the settings I have persisted with are;
“CURRENT SUSPENSION SETTINGS: (settings are dialled down from hard to their current)
25.03.20 – Front 12, Rear 8”
I think they need to be reviewed again.

Hi BoldEagle. L700 fan from NZ.

I see you had some issue with HEL brake lines for your L700. I’ve encountered the same issue with fittings being different to OEM lines. How did you get on communicating with HEL about resolving the issue? It would be great to know how you resolved this. Thanks kindly. Ive enjoyed reading about your journey. Beau.

This was a long read from start to finish but it was worth it! Now I need to let it all sink in :laughing:
Great write up since the start, you’ve done a good job mate. I hope you had a good camping trip in the Cuore, I do enjoy camping and one day tempted to go in my own even if it is stripped out and loud inside :joy:

Hope you do more updates to this thread!:slightly_smiling_face:

The HEL guy in Australia is prompt but never interested in helping with product info. I use their lines on two cars and am happy with them and prefer them to Goodridge. One set are custom lines and the other are an off the shelf spec.

I am yet to get this sorted, my lower back has been playing havoc which makes an assessment a trying episode. I will need to pull one off and then take comparison pics.

I will try to get around to into the New Year once the silly season is over.

I need to reassess the shocks as they have well and truly settled in now and should be dialed in again, I aslo have replacement rubber seats for the rear and gearbox fluid to change, etc., etc.

1 Like

How’s the build coming along, any new updates?:slightly_smiling_face:

I’m racking my brain here but where did you buy the coilover kit from? I’ve been looking through this website for answers but apart from BC Racing I can’t see any other people are buying, I’ve looked on BC Racing website and they either don’t sell them anymore or I’m just being blind and not looking properly lol Are you able to give me a link so I can finally buy some coilovers?