E-Series Engines

###EJ-Series Engines (989cc)
The EJ-series appeared in February 1998. An 81.0 mm stroke and a 72.0 mm bore makes for a total displacement of 989 cc (1.0 L). It is a DOHC, 12-valve inline three-cylinder water-cooled engine. The EJ-DE variant was locally delivered to the Australian market in the Daihatsu Sirion (1L) and Daihatsu Cuore. There seems to be two versions which are distinguishable by the presence of lack of an external hard line oil feed from the head to the oil filter block. It seems that those with the external oil feed should be more easily configured for DVVT (if one had the bits). Also with the external oil fed models the block itself comes with different internal configurations where the casting can be more open for high oil flow or just drilled after casting for less oil flow.

###Engine Varients (EJ)

Varient Layout Induction KW @RPM NM @RPM Comp Fuel System Chassis
EJ-DE 12V DOHC NA 40.5 5200 88 3600 10 EFI L700, M100
EJ-VE 12V DOHC NA ? ? ? ? EFI ?

###ECU Models

Varient ECU Number Chassis
EJ-DE ? ?
EJ-VE ? ?

###Service Details

Varient Oil Filter Spark Plug Air Filter Fuel Filter Spark Gap Timing
EJ-DE ? Denso - K16PR-U11 (Standard Plug) ? ? 0.8 - 0.9mm 5 Degrees BTDC [+/- 2 Degrees] @ Idle
EJ-VE ? Denso - K16TNR-S9 (Standard Plug) ? ? 0.8 - 0.9mm 5 Degrees BTDC [+/- 2 Degrees] @ Idle

FrankEnstein series

@FrankEnstein to complete

Ok since I told @FrankEnstein how to make a frankenstein engine then I should probably do this bit for the basics. (evilhighway)

Why I did this originally. I had a ef/el and it was slow I had heard of it being done but had few details so I did
did it so I could keep efi with a bigger block ( i did not know about ed20 at the time).
The benefits it does lower compression so you can put a bit more boost through it. (I never did this at the time)
What I found was I had alot more torque that an ef/el just doesnt have but I could never get the tune right and after an electrical fault i left the car alone and never played again with that one. One of the reasons i could not get the tune right was the fact i was running 215cc injectors from a toyota camry but I had no fuel pressure reg on it.

A Frankenstein e series engine consists of :

• ED 10 or ED 20 Block
  • EL/EL Head for efi (the ed10 was a carby head but the ed20 was an efi head but the 2 blocks ED are the same).
  • ED timing belt and timing cover.
  • Alternator may need modifying to line up correctly.
  • In a lot of cases an injector upgrade will be needed or at least a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.
  • If you have a carby powered car it would be advisable to put in an efi fuel pump and upgrade the fuel lines from an ef/ef.

Frankenstein Engines can also be done with ef/el head and ejde blocks but there is a few more modifications needed for these and aI have not done it so I will leave it to other’s to explain if they wish.

3 Likes