Greg's Mira AvanzatoR4

If you haven’t already, check the contact faces on the ends of the armatures of the throttle sensor. They can get dirty or even pit out. I have got them working again just by running 320grit wet and dry back and forward through with applying light pressure keep them closed.

2 Likes

What the Yanks call a “point file” is also good for that

Yeah, I was just rough with it earlier and broke some of the old, brittle plastic. I’ll be placing an order soon for a new one

Kinda minor update.

Turning the engine over by hand revealed that the sound I had attributed to “chain slap” was probably due to the tensioner just being kinda loose, and catching on it’s teeth. So it basically seems to be doing its job, and this style of tensioner is noisy by design. I have manually adjusted it to be slightly tighter by backing out the mounting bolts until it ratcheted one tooth tighter, which eliminated the noise, but now there is a slight “whirring” from the chain area, so it might be a hair too tight.

The car idles poorly, it surges from 2-3k rpm.
I’ve also pulled the spark plugs, which have seen at most one full tank of gas, and found that one was noticeably dirtier than the others. The dirty plug corresponds to a coil pack boot that was clearly replaced at some point, and seemed questionable. It does work, but the coil’s “boot” is not the right size, and I wonder if it’s making poor contact with the plug. I have one being shipped to me, really hoping that’s the cause of my troubles, but we’ll see.

I do some of the work on my cars at a DIY garage near me; they are hosting an autocross event in a couple weeks, so the goal is to have this thing ready to rip by then.

3 Likes

Picked up a garage mate for the Mira

9 Likes

Nice, I loved my GR yaris, was tempted to “upgrade” to the rolla for the extra doors but it barely offered any extra space for my girls so I let that idea and the yaris go…

I bet you are having a blast, the 1.6 in these things sounds epic if you put an exhaust on it and disable the fake sounds via odb2 dongle

1 Like

This is actually the first I’ve heard about that, I wasn’t aware that the Yaris had fake engine noises.

The Corolla does not have any fake noises, but has an exhaust flap and a flap in the bottom of the air box, and I’m really happy with the sounds it makes. The exhaust is nice and growly but still relatively quiet, and the intake has audible whooshes when letting off the throttle quickly. If you build full boost and then lift off a little slower, over the course of a second or two, you even get a little turbo “flutter”.

Any more updates on the Mira?

Ah, sorry, no. Where I live the roads are salted heavily in the winter, so I’ve garage it to minimize rust, and in the meantime have occupied my time working on a bunch of old bicycles. Once the weather is better and I can comfortably work out in my unheated garage I’ll get back to it!

4 Likes