K3-vet into L251 charade

thanks. i got the impression that there was some sirion parts being suggested rather than the manual yrv gearbox.
i assume they are the same part. i didn’t even realise about subframe being different. this is why my car is stock :slight_smile:

to be fair, i’ve only ever done one engine swap in my life and that was a 2zz-ge into a mk3 mr2 so not a difficuly one, and my mates never done one at all.
You don’t know what you can’t do unless you try i guess, my bro is a fabricator so if we need him to help us make things :-/ he will do. Picked up the yrv yesterday and after driving it, my friends convinced he wants to keep it auto :frowning: doing my best to persuade him otherwise but we’ll see, suppose there’s less bits to buy if we keep it auto but don’t like that idea really. i’ll pop some pics of the two lil gems on shortly.
As for having a supply in the uk i think they imported 250 turbos to the uk, so they’re not exactly plentiful. However the 70k mile yellow beast was a steal… £300.

i think that’s more turbo’s than we got in nz!
btw the 2zz-ge mr2 is a great swap!
i just had a big chat with a guy i sold a k3 swap package to - he has been chomping through mr2s
he did the 2zz and then just did a mk2 with the 1mz-fe and thought it was even better

anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

the auto swap can be easier - but the main issue i have is that the shifting computer is so painful!
but then again - you do a manual conversion and the manual box won’t love you for toooooo long if you wind up the boost! :wink: especially if you kept it in the yrv
but in the lighter shell - the manual boxes seem to hold on ok
I have a few lads running around in sirion and mira now that have clocked a few km’s without the manual box giving up

to test it more - i’m building my next track car to run a stock manual box - just so we can develop the kits a bit better

but i suspect the big issue is still subframe - i hope this doesn’t make life too difficult for you!
over here in NZ - to fabricate a subframe would be so difficult to certify for road use, it would be almost impossible
that is - unless there are only subtle changes to go over

i’d love to give more info - but that job is further down the priority list - otherwise i’d of been all over it

i have asked mates in japan and it for sure has been done though - the scary part is if you compare with Japanese builds - their budgets would melt the brains of many of us

1 Like

…so not wanting to sound too negative-but tread carefully so you can evaluate and measure etc before getting to a point that you can’t hit eject and change the plans

don’t fall into the trap that many do - of having expectations so high that once reality kicks in, you’re in too deep and end up giving up on everything, than changing tack

keep us in the loop

i’m gunning for ya!!

1 Like

i get ya drift patrick i’m under no illusions, dunno bout my mate tho haha, he may well say he can’t be bothered at some point but for now he’s pretty excited at the idea, would love to do a 2gr mr2 one day :slight_smile: and i think we’re goin manual again now, yay! well thas the plan at the moment but ya never know.

found this when browsing the net looks interestin, thas a pretty tight bay :slight_smile: but then again a b18 will fit there too.
Just wish there was somebody to talk to who had done it already for reference.
image image

1 Like

…wait a couple of months and i’ll have it done :smiley:

2 Likes

we’re not in a hurry to be honest, still have to buy gearbox flwheel clutch etc and money’s pretty tight so i expect it’ll be a while, plus my mate has to book holiday from work to do it as it’s his daily drive, crack on, you can walk us through it then :smile:

Hey mate, turbo yoda is on the Facebook group looking for you so he can help out. Are you in the group?

nah mate don’t do facebook, never have never will. :frowning: thought one of them was signed up to this place, marty??

Yea, Marty is an og member. I don’t think he was directly involved in the swap though. I’ll check if there is another way to contact him.

my mate (who owns the cars) sent him a friend request on fb yesterday Thomas williams his name is.

1 Like

I’ve let Alan know to look out for the name :+1:

1 Like

Please bring the results of the conversation back here :+1:

@b_hoves thanks man, and @FrAsErTaG will do

the two beauties, excuse the pic quality.
So my friend has had a message from Alan, what he has said is we need to use the m300 box, timing chain cover and mount then cut the mounting point from the m300 and weld it into the charade, seems simple enough, also gotta delete the charades bonnet catch cos it fouls. not sure which subframe, guessing the yrv one will bolt in and no mention which shafts to use, does anyone know if the auto ones will push in and are the correct length, or maybe thats m300 too. I guess we’ll find these things out in time. As i said before not rushing my mate has more parts to buy now. Maybe this will help you out though @patrick_hart

1 Like

Cheers mate!
That puts me out of contention for a bit then …if not forever as I won’t be embarking on re welding mounts for cert requirements

But maybe a way down the track

it’ll be a piece of p*** patrick, get ya welder out!

Little info on off the shelf clutches- i chose the Exedy DHK-7326HD (from Aus) for my YRV turbo.

• it’s organic plate so great daily driveability
  • after break-in holds stock power just fine
  • done maybe 5000 km’s on it, feels solid so far
  • at approx £280 a bit pricey
  • clutch pedal is a bit stiffer (not in a bad way though)

You will pay wayy less for a custom made puck plate+ OEM terios cover that will hold more power, but if you want the DD of an organic and you’re OK with stock power, i think i can recommend this product.

3 Likes