My EJ-DE L200 Topless

Being more of a Charade person, I have been wanting to see what all fuss is about with the smaller Dai’s, but I like being different so had to find something special.
Cue facebook where i happened to see an L200 Topless for sale, instant love :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:. Came to an agreement with the owner on price, then had a lovely 1450km return trip with a 10x6 trailer in tow, hoping it would fit as my wife’s car has a 1200kg towing limit so a car trailer was out of the question.
28 hours later i arrived home and am now the highly proud owner of 1 of 12 L200 Mira Topless’ , pretty unique I thought :wink: This one is apparently one of the two prototypes, and already has an EJ-DE fitted and wired up but not running.
Plans so far are to get running, fit interior back in as was sold as a rolling shell, then fix any other issues so it can get a roadworty and rego, after that it’s anyone guess.
So expect alot of Noob Questions and confusion during the course of this restoration :smile:

10 Likes

nice Score Dale looks like a lot of work but should be good once it’s all done. I actually think there was either 40 or 50 of these done and not just 12. I heard either 40 or 50 many many times over the last 5-6 years but never herd 12 before. but who knows.

1 Like

Excited to see what happens with this. Will be such a fun car once done.

1 Like

Just some pics while I have some of the fibreglass off to clean. looks like the spot welds have broken apart :frowning: Serious Question, should I just spot weld or part weld or full weld of seams?

1 Like

If you seem weld it it would be much stronger and wow seein one apart makes you a little more concerned lol

2 Likes

Seems better than the moke californian i owned, bracing is decent looking box steel both welded and bolted. Being more concerned so far with engine, wiring and cleaning bits, I had yet to look under the back end.

Oops something missing and also pretty rusty, could be why it was so low, I put it down to one flat tyre and one rim without tyre.

4 Likes

Also missing the fibreglass part on top of windscreen, this must have been lost on trip back :frowning:
And a pic of pillar area.
Will be chasing a brace bar that goes under the dash soon also

You will need that brace the steering column etc bolts to it also

1 Like

Just so you know there is a company on magnetic Island that hires out those little topless miras to tourists, maybe give them a call if you are chasing random spares. Last time I was there they had about ten or so that I could see…

1 Like

thats about where the 40 or so came from :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so they still have them? i was told they had gone back to moke’s as galvanised body, Thanks for that @Daiharris

1 Like

Yeah bro… Unfortunately a group of tourists got drunk and binned one into a tree the other day and a few of them died or some shit… Personally I have little remorse for drink drivers but that’s the way it goes…

Also a good tid bit is I drove one about a year ago and that made me want to get a Mira… Now I’ve got an L200 with an ej going in so it all worked out hahahaha

3 Likes

hey good to see more progress!

1 Like

Quick Vid Update :smiley: https://youtu.be/yr-6Ti1wz3k

1 Like

Yay! Fantastic. Will be a sweet set up to cruise with. Can’t wait to see or here more of the progress.

1 Like

EJ ecu in EF case for ease of mounting back in :wink:
20170812_161230

4 Likes

As i have found out, i have a series 1 front but series 2 headlights :frowning: the top of the grill doesnt quite reach to out the clips in :frowning: but still only a minor detail :smile:20170815_14593720170815_150001

1 Like

Bumpers only painted with cans so not the best but will do til i try a full respray :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a few proper bars spare, some unpainted (best option for repainting). $15 (packing money) plus postage if you like?

2 Likes

Are you in Brisbane/ S.E. Qld at all @Mr_Gormsby?