My EJ-DE L200 Topless

Definitely enjoying it :smiley: Honestly surprised at how well it handles on the stock suspension, not a lot of rear bounce ( to me anyways ) that I have heard a few people say on facebook. The engine bay gets too hot for my liking, not much room for air to escape and i might cut the rh side bottom of bumper between the ridges to match lh side, might do a little :confused: but a 3 core radiator is definitely on the drawing board and will be " Modifying " the intake similar to the pic I posted on facebook a few days ago as the pod filter off throttle body is not going to work for me, the thermo fan blows directly onto it :frowning: I might also look at a battery relocation to behind rear seat in the near future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

space the bonnet with washers. aka a crude bonnet vent.

1 Like

picked up a Kuryakyn Hypercharger intake at the local swap meet a few weeks ago, was just the case and vacuum unit

the plan was to adapt it to suit the intake, fashioned a shaft out of 6mm galvanised steel rod, soldered a little ring onto it then cut some 0.5mm plate for the butterflies, polished and engraved them

unfortunately, this plan is on the back burner until I make a metal bonnet scoop to cover it after cutting a hole in the bonnet( required under the current ADR’s) or make another manifold to drop it underneath the bonnet, time will tell which way i go :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:
Got bored today, so decided it’s time to do a bit more body styling in line with my favourite look, Sex Spec :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: so started modifying the G200 side skirts i have had sitting here since writing off said G200 on Boxing Day 2017 still have to cut about 10mm out of them, note the gap at front guard and fibreglass a few bits and edges but happy with the general way they have turned out so far

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really close to fitting! Nice work Dale

1 Like

Made both sides fit even closer today, still a few gaps but nothing that Sikaflex won’t fix as they have to be stuck down on the edges. Mind you it has thrown a spanner in the works on the paint side of things as mow more possibilities of how I want her looking when finished :flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

How was your Sunday?

1 Like

oh that looks great it ads to the quirkiness of the topless

I thought the same about under bonnet temps. Did some measurements with a infrared gun, wrapped the exhaust manifold with fibreglass tape (mates said “they rust”, ehh they will prob crack before they rust) and you could tell just lifting the bonnet that there was much less radiant heat. I did remeasure the temp and it was down. Prob something I should have documented.

So glad the thing has gotten on the road.

1 Like

this is so badass ! GO DALE

1 Like

Picked up a 94 L200 from local wreckers on Friday so spent the weekend swapping out interiors, now Tefiti has an entire black dask, carpet gear knob and surround, sunvisors to match the side black carpet where the “Doors” are and 2 trays under front seats. Also changed passenger front seat as the one in there was from a 4 door and didn’t have the little lever that rear passengers use to exit the car, have both inner front guard plastics and both rear mudflaps all put on with factory screws.
As can be seen in the video, I have fitted the Kuryakyn Hypercharger intake to the EJ using a 90° piece of pipe with a plate welded onto it to hold the hypercharger, two pieces of 6mm threaded rod bent to suit are bolted to the bracket that held the original EJ Sirion airbox, to stop the whole thing moving sideways and hitting the bonnet. Got a non dented bonnet to go on but the Mrs doesn’t want me cutting a hole in that one so will see what happens later on.

2 Likes

Just received an official reply from the Australian National Drag Racing Association in regards to running the Topless down the drag strip, Officially, the car is allowed to run under the Super Street Classification but must have full roof and doors attached, soft top and doors are permissible. While I would have loved to run as she sits without roof and doors i can see where they are coming from in regards to safety, don’t want arms flying out and getting crushed in case of the worst happening, now just have to save the $2000 i was quoted to get a full roof and doors made :smiley:

1 Like

and now i have just been told by the local drag club,they were told that as long as it is modplated and registered i can use it at their local " Keep The Speed Of The Streets" meetings so this makes it really interesting, just have to replace the driveshafts as one boot has split and same side CV joint is clicking a fair bit :confused:

3 Likes

I would say ANDR would be discussing competing in the sport of drag racing, while the local drag club would just be unofficial racing for the fun of it. I should ask qld raceways what their rules are in case you are able to make it to a sprint event one day.

3 Likes

True that @b_hoves , i have no dramas with it, have seen too many bad accidents at drag strips over the years, was just sort of hoping i could run the car withoit the roof for the true topless feels :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

wow expensive pal

Quick update, i bought a cheap multigauge setup off facebook, confirmed with seller that it’s meant to work with a 3 cyl and $55 later this is what turned up

Was mainly interested as it has a tacho function, water temp, oil temp & pressure are a bonus i thought. Wired up just for tacho function to see if it works :stuck_out_tongue: but also took down what wires went where from the smaller of the two ecu plugs, only 6 hooked up.

Colours written on my crudely drawn pic are main wire colour on top and second colour is stripe and looking from the side the wires go into ,if it helps anyone, i don’t know what they do yet as haven’t sussed the L200 manual
Anyhow back to the tacho, how did it turn out​:thinking::thinking::thinking:

For those wondering, pin 29 from the ecu, red wire with yellow stripe is the one i used for the tacho signal, also found out my diagnostics plug isn’t hooked up at all but will sort that another day :wink:

3 Likes

Mate that’s awesome! Also, every EJ swap I’ve seen has that diagnostic plug not hooked up. I’m pretty sure mine isn’t.

1 Like

Could be why the check engine light is on :thinking::thinking::thinking: @b_hoves

1 Like

Never thought of that. You’re probably onto something. I’ve just changed out the O2 sensor in mine. We’ll see if it make any difference.

1 Like

anyone that’s interested in these gauge setups, be warned that the clock in mine doesn’t work though :frowning:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33020886929.html?mb=Xv1WV5a4XzqG4a6&srcSns=Copy+to+Clipboard&tid=white_backgroup_101&tt=sns_Copy&fbclid=IwAR2yIzQHv9wesuZKI2HC2ASesYQKyNd88QFGbNV5a0q3tcilfdy1N2Q4At8&aff_platform=default&cpt=1563864884013&templateId=white_backgroup_101&platform=AE&sk=c1qL2SV2&aff_trace_key=35d2b00f55ef464680a71e6b79790e7f-1563864884013-01974-c1qL2SV2&businessType=ProductDetail&terminal_id=a72555172a8047d1b649b31000907e55

2 Likes