1985 S66 Hijet AB-51 Engine Inlet Manifold (Buying)

Hi all, I’ve got a 1985 S66 Daihatsu with a need for a replacement on it’s Inlet Manifold. It’s a two cylinder so they’re a little bit rarer. Coming up short trying to find it online.

The Engine is an AB-51.

G’day mate, yeah the AB 51 being a Hijet engine is going to be harder to find, Japanese market will be the best bet. Have you tried Yahoo auctions?

Yeah :frowning: No luck.

I’ve reached out to a few parts stores too. Still waiting to hear back from https://yokohamamotors.net/

What about the inlet manifold needs to be replaced? Can it be fixed?

I am searching Yahoo Auctions and I’ve found two whole engines but no inlet manifold yet.

Hmmm, I even checked S60 as well as they are essentially the same engine. I have found nothing.

Can you please post some pictures of the inlet manifold you are having a problem with?

Sure!

As you can see the Thermostat Housing screw hole is broken. Thought about some sort of clamping or JB Welding, but wanted to see if there was a inlet manifold first off.

Your best bet is to get it repaired by someone who can aluminium tig weld. Despite being 40 year old casting, it’s a fairly good quality material. Once it’s done a new hole can be drilled and the thread tapped again. It’ll be like new.
Which country are you in?

Thanks Dale! USA.

Mate, please post up a thread with pictures of this beast. I love a Hijet but I love the two cylinder even more. They are a killer engine.

Good luck with the repair.

1 Like

How has the come along? Did you manage to find someone capable of welding up the damaged area?
If not, seriously consider trying Justin from The Fabrication Series on YouTube, he has a shop in Las Vegas. I imagine if he can’t do it, it can’t be fixed.

The website has contact details at the bottom of the shop page.
Everything can be fixed, its just got to be clean and done by someone with experience.