94 S110P engine swap

The engine in my 94 s110p is toast, I love the truck but need a new engine. Prefer a direct bolt on option, would like to maximize horsepower. What are my options and where would I buy the best engine to use? I am not a mechanic by any means so I would be purchasing to have someone do the swap. My current engine is carbureted, does that mean the replacement must be carbureted? I don’t know what I don’t know so any help is appreciated.

G’day Ryan.
Sounds like the original engine is a EF-NS which is a carburettor 6 valve head.
Not knowing which country you’re in, I will make the options simplified.
Buy another 6 valve 660cc EF engine, swap over all the bolt on parts including the inlet manifold, carburettor, sump and oil pick up
or
Buy a 6 valve 850cc ED engine and swap over all the bolt on parts as mentioned above - you may need to rejet the carburettor to suit the new engine.

1 Like

Hello, I’m in the same boat as the op except my hijet is a 98. Same engine though. I was looking at an EJ engine, how much is involved with porting over the fuel injection setup? Are there more cost effective ways to do it other than sourcing a complete vehicle and swapping the entire system? Maybe a Holley stand alone?

I am looking for a bit more power than what the EF or EB provides. I would love to get my hands on an EF-XS/XL but they are just hard to come by and expensive when you do. By the way, I’m in Texas USA

To be honest the EF-XS is a better choice than the EJ-DE., The EJ-DE just wont rev like the EF-NS. The EJ inlet manifold wont fit, it’ll be a whole lot of fuss for an engine that won’t make the Hijet fun to drive.
Here in Australia we have access to the ED-10 or ED-20 which is an 850 cc version of the EF-NS, the ED can be bored out to fit the EJ pistons but hoestly its 149cc of displacement more. The EJ-DE fills a hole in the market because Australia has an unnatural fear of small engines

From my understanding Holley doesn’t make a lot to suit engines with less than 4 cylinders. I had looked into the Sniper kit with the Autolite 1100 throttle body, to get them working of a 4 cyl air cooled VW is a lot of fart assing around, let alone a three cylinder engine.
If you want a performance carburettor then have a look at a SU carby around 1.5 inch would do the trick and be fairly easily to convert the manifold for easy fitment. Before you say its too small remember that there is of 3 intake operations over 720 degrees of crankshaft revolutions or once every 240 degrees.

If it were me I would get the EF bottom end balanced and blueprinted, regrind the cam and tickle the castings in the head on exhaust side (make it smooth as possible), lighten and balance the flywheel, make extractors with individual exhaust runners of equal length (getting rid of the horrible log exhaust manifold) and fit a 1.5 inch exhaust, build a 1.5 inch straight pack less chambered muffler with good flow.
The engine will take high revs all day long, and have much better power than what you have without having to source hard to get parts (note that the EJ-DE is also now an obsolete engine and getting parts will be just as hard as the engine you have).

Thanks for the info Dale, only thing is my ef-ns is seized…. I’m going to need a new engine regardless. So my thought is, as long as I have to replace it anyway, I might as well get the most hp and torque I can. Finding the old carb engines are tough and like you said, most are obsolete so even if I find one I’m going to catch hell sourcing parts. I like the EF-DET specs and I’ve been able to locate a few of those, maybe I’ll just try and find a complete Atari and procure the hole setup. I’ll just need the harness ECU and fuel tank right? Do you think this is economical? The folks around here in the Dallas area that you can find to work on these engines are VERY proud of their work so getting an ef worked over will cost a fortune. I was quoted 6 grand for a rebuild IF they could get it freed up…