‘99 Move Engine Rebuild

Hi Folks

First post, happy to have joined the forum :sunglasses:

I bought a ‘99 Move non-runner in South-Africa. Paid too much, but it had good bodywork and valid papers - hard to find!

The vision is to have a fun, quirky, small and light on fuel run around. The SUV is a bit heavy on cost per km. Roughly 150K kilometers on the dial and showing wear in all the common places.

I’ve taken out the engine and gearbox and cleaned all the parts I could in the ultrasonic as I was cleaning and gathering information on where to source parts. Turns out its quite difficult this side of the world (and pretty sure around the globe)!

Many hours spent phoning, scouring classifieds, and messaging part-stores. I then get recommended to a guy that is an independent daihatsu dealer - i phone him up and “wow! The search is over! He has parts!”.

He says he 7 of these ED20 engines at home and will charge me for the full head (high, but reasonable). Then he continues and asks if I am rebuilding. I say, yes and proceed to tell the quick backstory. He promptly replied and said “Don’t do it yourself, you will F*** it up. It will bite you. I will charge you 3 hours labour to rebuild it”. I asked for any specifics and he just said that everything on the engine is complicated and it will bite.

I respectfully agree and say that he is the expert, but upon phoning again to find out how to proceed, he says that I must give him all my cars engine parts with ZAR 12000.00 and he will then give me a running engine.

Look, Everyone must eat; I understand that. I am not one to badmouth anyone. Considering no specifics mentioned and not being allowed to see the parts upfront, I just don’t know if this is the type of person I want to do business with.

So I want to ask the community here what are the specifics that I need to take into account (other than whats in the manual and using common sense during disassembly and assembly) when rebuilding this engine?

1 Like

Welcome abord.
To answer all of your questions, you will be required by this forum’s staff to start a separate thread on this topic. Perhaps, it would be best to do it in dairy form?