Back into a Daihatsu

Hi Jim here, I’ve recently picked up a Australian delivered 1990 Mira that’s had a EF-JL turbo & 5spd dropped in, she needs some work but I enjoy keeping busy.
When teenage me saw a G11 Turbo in a car yard in the mid 80’s I tried pretty dam hard to get my dad to trade in our Suzuki S600 hatch for it, no joy. Since then I’ve had a G100 Charade, G201 F2 Charade, Mira , Copen, Terios and now another Mira. I’ve always loved the simple elegance of a Dai, there not the fanciest JDM car but they get the job done and can be fun too., still mad at Toyota for dropping the brand from Oz but I’m a grumpy old man now LOL

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum Jim, nice collection of Dai’s you have had over the years :slight_smile: many of us are mad at Toyota for pulling Daihatsu out of the world market, wasn’t just Australia, makes getting parts alot harder for our cars especially when they dumped a heap of new old parts :frowning:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Jim. Nice to get a Mira with an ef-jl already in there. Any pics of this mira?

1 Like

Here, you go! I probably wouldn’t have gone for such a oversize Turbo but it came new with the car. I’ve fixed/made up the exhaust manifolds and had it running this weekend.

4 Likes

Were you told that it is a ef-jl in there? If not why would you think it is an ef/jl?
I mean they are pretty similar looking to an ef/el and by the pic. The exhaust manifold looks like it was a John Verban (KCS) made manifold.
It’s not really important to be honest just what jumped out and am curious.

1 Like

It was advertised & sold as a EF-JL with 5 speed LSD so just have to take them at their word on that, do they stamp any numbers on the block or just the serial number, If you know how to decode the numbers please let me know
I did find the ECU has red sticker on it, I made the exhaust manifold myself using a pre made flange and some ready bent pieces from my local exhaust shop

I would be very surprised if it had an LSD. If you jack it up (on jack stands) and spin a front wheel do they both spin the same way? or if you look under it should have a jackshaft drive shaft on the drivers side.
Nice job on the manifold. Yeh, I really dont know how to tell the difference to be honest. They are usually both stamped with EF on the front of the block.

1 Like

The LSD will be visible from under the bonnet. They are in my experience either a jackshaft viscous or a jackshaft plated. I thought a efjl was basically the same as the efel, but just turbocharged. Both are sohc 12v.

1 Like

I’m up on ramps over my pit atm, pit is could be a foot deeper but better than nothing.
Will check it out

By jackshaft I take it you mean there wont be just two unequal length driveshafts coming from the diff but instead one drive shaft, the diff, a jackshaft then another drive shaft?

1 Like

Correct. The lsd is external and is housed in a short shaft coming out the rhs (as sitting in the car). It would have two almost equal length drive shafts. There are also instances with jackshafts that have no lsd in them. They are an ingenious thing, but they don’t handle a lot of track work as they only have a small volume of oil and not much cooling so tend to overheat. My viscous one was perfect for street use.

1 Like

Reckon this’s just what you described then

2 Likes

Yep. Looks like a clutch pack. But you’ll know by the way it drives. The viscous slips a bit at first and then locks up whereas the clutch pack type just has a little tiny bit of resistance almost right though revs and gears. The only thing rarer than a jackshaft is the driveshaft that goes into it.

Turbo doesnt look to be too big. The intercooler might add abit of lag but. Have you considered going smaller?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve already swapped it out for a smaller unit and simplified the plumbing

2 Likes