Carburetor swap

Happy New year to everyone. I have a 1.3 G102 engine. I recently got a caburetor off a Toyota 1.6 engine. Basically looks the same, but I the Jets are different. My concern is, will it give me better response or will I be just burning more gas with poor fuel economy.

1 Like

Hello mr_cool, interesting question.
While the jets may be larger, have you considered measuring the diameter of the chokes. Larger main and secondary chokes will flow more air but you may lose some bottom end torque from the engine (not that it has great bottom end anyway).

3 Likes

since when does the 1.3L have a carby?

I am guessing he is either Malaysian or he bought a manifold from a Malaysian delivered Charade.

1 Like

I’m from Barbados. We had more carb than fuel injection cars I had notice in the g100 model. And never came across a gtti.

2 Likes

gtti was te cb60 turbo carb from my knowledge of what we got here but please someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I do get mixed up with the earlier charades.

taken from the wiki

HC Series (1295cc/1.3L)

The 1295cc (1.3 L; 79.02 cu in) HC engine appeared in 1987, for the G100 Daihatsu Charade.
Engine bore x stroke is 76mm x 71.4mm, compression is 9.5:1, pistons are listed as 4mm domed.

The HC engine was built with economy and weight savings in mind, and as such there is no weight difference between a 1.3L HC powered Charade and a similarly equipped 1L CB powered Charade.
This is credited to an all alloy block and cylinder head, and hollow crankshaft and camshaft.

After an initial run, the engine was updated with Multi-Point Fuel Injection for a small increase in power.

Maybe its an “initial run” HC unit? if I am reading it right seems like the early version might not have had EFI

4 Likes

nope, the cb60 is single cam, gtti have always been the twin cam cb70/80

in the G102 manual, it has listed both the HC-C and HC-E, carb and efi respectively, think it was more to do with different country’s emmissions laws. don’t forget also the G100 3cyl charade had an american only release that was efi called the CB90

3 Likes

this is my engine. G102 1300cc carb in a g200.

4 Likes

It looks so weird but so cool also.

2 Likes