Charade G201 1.6 Gti 16v

Hey there,

decided to open a thread for my Charade Gti.
What you are going to see here is mainly some basic stuff to make her roadworthy again.

Also started this as a request from @Mokeman

5 Likes

Replaced front brake pads + rotors yesterday:

But now I’m running into some serious issues for the rear break rotors, at the dealership they told me in whole Europe the brake rotors we’re not available anymore. The rear is a bearing, hub and rotor in one. And when you order this a an regular parts store you run into this problem:

3 Likes

Cool car! sorry I can’t help with the brakes.

1 Like

Back pads + oem rotors came in, thanks to Natan from the daihatsu performance enthousiasts facebook page.

If anyone knows the torque specs for the central nut please let me know.

3 Likes

It has been a while since my last post, so time for an update.

The OZ F1’s were a little worn so I started refurbishing them. All of them had loads of curb rash damage from their previous owner.

Started sanding with P180 and give them some filler. after that a p320 and some spray filler and p600 to make the surface smooth for painting.

I made the choice to leave the tires on, this because I have seen to many people taking brand knew rims to a tireshop en get them scratcht up.

I wanted to give the rims a grey color that was just a little bit brighter than they were. So i chose for matte RAL9007

In the painting booth I was afraid that the colour was going to turn out bronze, but when I took them outside they looked absolutely amazing.


OZ Racing F1 15" et37 7J with Hankook Ventus prime 3 195/50/15

6 Likes

Nice job. Curb rash is a pet hate of mine, and you have a good point not taking the tyres off to save scratching them putting them on :smile:

Thanks, it took some time but they are finally done.

Well since I had always had an oil leak at the front of the cilinderhead, I finally gathered the knowledge to do a headgasket job al by myself.

My G201 also has power steering so i even had more stuff in my way, which took more time than i thought.

The further breakdown of the engine went pretty smooth. Except the intake manifold was a pain in the ass because of some bolts underneath it. When I reached the headgasket it became clear that it was falling apart. the previous owner told he used some “bars leaks”, yeah, you wouldn’t say so :joy:. This shit was al over the place.

After some scraping and cleaning the head turned out to be straight (I couldn’t get 0.1mm underneath it so is was fine according to the HD engine manual)

Putting everything back together went smooth, new waterpump, thermostat, timingbelt, and some other stuff. Untill disaster strikes… Cilinderheadbolts, torqing them down in 3 steps in the manuals patern. Nm accoring to the manual. But at the last step not the torque wrench said snap, but one bolt did tho…

I had to go to Japfest (Japanese car festival) so it had to run. So I did, whith 1 bolt less he made it( Thats 320km). No oil leaks, no coolant leaks, no smoking, nothing.
But after al, the sad story is… It has to come apart, again…:persevere:

2 Likes

Oh man that is heart breaking.

1 Like

A couple months passed by, done a couple maintenance things. New oem fuel filter,

and replaced a dried out o-ring behind the distributor rotor.

Last year Yellowspeed had some black friday sale so i couldn’t resist buying something that will be bolted on in the spring…

4 Likes