Charade g202 mods

Gday will be aquiring a charade g202, with a brand new starter motor, I have been looking into new suspension for her, as the car will be used to get to work and nearly everything else bar fishing as only my smallest rod will fit, fishing rod that is, I do about 4ish km on dirt, so no coil overs or super hard suspension, just decent as on the sealed part of the drive are some seriously nice corners 45 to 55 k corners, but very undulating road surfaces, I have found Cobra springs in nz which I need to talk with, unless you mob know of another decent spring manufacturer, but I need advice on ahockers too ultima, kyb or someone else, nno pedders shit or kings, have tried both in the past and both failed.
Also is there a carby swap that is known to work on a cb24 engine, I will be getting extractors and a 1 3/4 to 2 inch exhaust for her, so I need to open up the intake side for the exhaust to work.
Down the track I wouldn’t mind fitting a cb 60/61 engine, any tips as fitment issues or where to find one or am I better off fitting a 4 cyl carby motor, cheers

I have had king springs in a g202 before and they were actually really good over the stock ones for the Charade on street and on some dirt roads I lived on also. They were ones from a g200 and I bought them 2nd hand so no Idea on prices. I have bought king springs for a Mira and they were terrible. for shocks I cant remember off hand tbh as it was too long ago. I think it is a toyota 4k carb that can be adapted to the CB24. From memory it cuts out a lot of pollution crap. Also is you want better throttle response and make it heaps better get your flywheel lightened. I did that with the one I had and it transformed it heaps. It also had a 2 inch exhaust on it.

3 Likes

For suspension I would recommend standard height rear springs in a 30 to 50 percent increase in spring rate. It will make the car turn into corners better, the g202 doesn’t have provisions nor is it fitted with front or rear sway bars.
Get some 14 or 15 inch wheels, good tyres and a decent wheel alignment.
You won’t lose all the comfort with standard front springs and harder rear springs.
The car will want to turn the corners and be very stable while doing so.
I’ve got extractors on my g202 and the exhaust is standard diameter, factory cat converters are restrictive, get some high flow cats.
You don’t need to port the head to get minor gains.

We didn’t get the HC-C 4 cylinder carby engine here, so I couldn’t say of it’s actually any better, obviously it will make more power but the HC-E injection engine will make power on top of the carby engine but requires all wiring and fuel plumbing to run properly.

2 Likes

Cheers that is great info, I had king springs in a eb xr8 with kyb shocks and nolathane bushes everywhere and she handled great, but the rear sat lower than the front but my tyres were 225/5016 front and 245/50/16 rear so it sat level then, but if they work on a charade I’ll give them ago, as long as I can get them in a higher rate on the rears, the carby and flywheel mods sound like a goer, is there a lightened flywheel that is available for it, my mate had a lightened one in a 4 speed 245 centura and that was a weapon in a straight line anyway, I don’t want to spend thousands on her as that sort of money is reserved for my xr8, I down here in tassie a go cart is a must, cheers for all the advice muchly appreciated

1 Like

If you want to improve the handling (I know you’ve asked about dampers/shocks) then keep the std front spring rate and increase the rear rate. Any increase in the rear rate will reduce understeer. You could even double the rate with no determent to handing and only vastly improve it. In my opinion the best damper, if you can find them, will be a Koni red. You might find them as an insert for you strut. Run the front fast/soft for a std frt spring and slow/hard for the back.

The softer front will transfer more weight to the front of the car and give more traction. This is both in cornering and acceleration, so win win. You’d only need to go to a harder front if you were blowing through full travel.

3 Likes

Check out ultra racing braces. I found that these bodies have a fair bit of flex and fitting braces helped heaps with handling. Especially if you want to go fast around corners.

Thanks heaps I might be spending a bit more than I planned but why not eh, your a great bunch, the last time I asked for advice on a forum all I got was grief about my grammar, I guess the xr8 is going to take longer, thanks for that ha ha cheers again

3 Likes