Daddios Daihatsu G200

After going to photobucket and salvaging my photos I thought I would make a thread for my first car, for all the people who might be new to the daihatsu wave. I have had this car since 2009/2010. It started out as my paddock basher.

1 Like

After a few questionable style choices this is how it started out. I was about 14/15 at this time. My dad was helping me ‘soup her up’.

1 Like

Because I didnt destroy it paddock bashing, I thought it would be awesome to bog and paint to have as my first car.

1 Like

And this is how it all came out. Didnt really do much else to it after. It was my daily driver for about 4 years. Many of you saw its hiccup at lakeside(blowing the engine after the first lap) Its a bit more knocked around these days. Hopefully I can source another 1.6 for cheap.

5 Likes

Many of you may have seen this car die at lakeside. Just pulled the motor out and turns out it spun a conrod bearing. A few of the other bearings were pretty warped and its pretty clear this engine has gotten pretty hot at one stage.

I have sourced a HD-E. Just ordered a new set of pistons and bearings. Going to try and get this car on the road ASAP as I feel like doing a bit of spirited driving. The holden ute isnt cutting it.

3 Likes

Perhaps nothing you don’t know. Get the crank ground. Things that get revved need to be on the “loose” side of the factory tolerances and the person grinding the crank should be able to advise. Never rev hard until oil temp is over 70deg C, and not super hard until around 90deg C. I am not familiar with your crank, but would get some advice on detailing the galleries and on the best main bearing for oil pick up (the ones you’ve bought might benefit from triple checking the oil gallery match and some detail of hole radius. Sump baffle, windage tray and scaper all help keep oil in/get oil quickly to the pick up. A vague statement, but make sure the oil pump is up to it. And talk to the crank grinder about what weight oil to use.

1 Like

Just an update to let you fellas know that im still working on the car(just slowly).
Engine is put together, just waiting for my camshaft to arrive.

1 Like

which cam are you buying?

Tighe 1185C

1 Like

It’s been a while. Been building a house and got mixed up with commodores and rx7’s. Thought I would give this a wash and try and get it running alright.

4 Likes

wow long time no see welcome back dude!

Kinda got inspired from @jbrown240 applause. Lives pretty close to me.
Tomorrow I’m going to wire up the detomado cluster. Bought one from yhj years ago for a good price. The black has faded quite a bit. Dad only used single stage paint for the black. The blue still looks amazing. Such a good colour for a povo 90’s car.

2 Likes

yeh Yamba and Asby are pretty close down that way.

Well the car runs. Drove it down a private road. Few oil leaks to chase. Currently running the standard ECU and 1.6 injectors. 1st and second gear is fine then hit third and feel the car get very sluggish which is probably the injectors trying to squeeze like 200% duty cycle or something lmao. Might have to look at getting aftermarket ECU. Probably a speeduino fitted into the original case.

2 Likes

This is currently running the 1.6 HD with 1.3 pistons and 270° cam. I’ll get an idling video today.

1 Like

It’s pretty hard to record an idling video when I cannot get the car to consistently idle. It will idle fine sometimes then the ecu decides to drop the revs and kill it. Other times it will idle at 2400rpm. I think I’m not getting away with using the standard ECU at all. Had a crack at converting my cluster to a detom cluster. All works 100%.

2 Likes

3 Likes

looks good

Speeduinos seem to be out of stock in Aus. While I wait I’ll try and get the car looking as good as it used to. Bought a DA buffer and compound and got to work. No experience at all. Wet sanded the car with 1500 grit and buffed over it. Done about half of the car.

1 Like