Daily / Track / Show Copen + Stories

Looks great! This is my favorite copen at the moment. Such a cool little thing!

1 Like
2 Likes

Carl’s car looking super sexy at Hot Import Nights!

5 Likes

09/04/2019 UPDATE.

Hey everyone! How are you all doing? I haven’t been on here in a while, and since the last post by @applegeek897 the car has changed a little more. So heres to an update :slight_smile:

02/03/2019
After 7 months of waiting, I finally received a call from Garage 88 about my Super Duck camber axle.
I quickly picked it up and we wasted no time in installing it. haha.
Here’s the photo of the box with the Copen and Lenny’s Mira in the background.

Lenny checking out mine and Luka’s work. :joy:

The next day, After adjusting the height and camber, II finally got her sitting right. and here’s the end result :smiley:

03/04/19
She didn’t stay like that for very long though. I have been organising a Trackday (13/04/19) for a club I’m running here in Sydney (K-Squad). So I began to prepare the Copen for this event.

So first things first. I raised the car about 20mm all around and put the lightweight wheels back on. Also set the rear camber to 0 degrees again like stock. Will raise it a bit more once new tyres are on.

Then while we were at it, we also installed new rotors and pads. I opted for the Vmax J hook rotors, from a company in Melbourne. The Quality of these rotors are so nice and surpassed my expectations and also a good $100 cheaper than the DBA T2 rotors I was originally going to purchase.

And this time I went with the Endless MX72 brake pads. A lot of people recommended to try these out. The effective heat range of 50-700 degrees! Way more than what I will ever need for this car haha. :sweat_smile:
Last time I had the Dixcel ES brake pads and was disappointed with them. The pedal felt a bit softer with the Dixcel stuff and they were super dusty, After a couple days of normal commute to work and back my wheels were pretty much brown/black with all the brake dust.
Also picked up a bottle of Endless RF-650 brake fluid, to flush out the HKS brake fluid I’ve had in there for over a year. Again a little overkill in my opinion, haha but I’d rather be safe than sorry!

oooohhhh they loookkk gooood :heart_eyes:

Then the following day, I did an engine oil change, Used Penrite Racing 10w40. Changed the gearbox oil as preventative maintenance, the car clicked 100,000 km. And while it was on the hoist I flushed out the brake fluid and just did a quick nut and bolt check.

Today, I ordered a set of sporty 195/45r15 to replace the 165/50r15 eco tyres I’ve currently got on the car. I wish I could have gone with semi slicks, but there seems to be none in the size I needed. 195/50r15 is just way too tall of a tyre. I’ll be picking them up tomorrow, and will post more updates :smiley:

Thanks for viewing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am very jealous of your access to a hoist. Great update, those rotors look great.

1 Like

Awesome stuff Carl! You know you are welcome to post the k squad track day event on the forum especially if it helps get you the number’s you need and it involves daihatsu’s and other small cars too which we all love to see.

1 Like

Epic stuff mate. Keen to see it on Saturday. Might have to jump in for a couple passenger laps :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

UPDATE 15/04/2019

The trackday is over. All I can say is that was a lot of fun! Seeing all the kei cars/other dais rip around Luddenham Raceway is awesome! :smiley:
The car went well, revved up to 9000 rpm all day, no hesitation! Temp gauge did not move at all. Might invest in an oil cooler soon and also I’ve decided to get an LSD as my next upgrade.

Here’s a video from one of the sessions when I was with the bigger cars (Yaris, Echo, Mazda 2 etc.) I set the quickest time of the day in the Kei group @ 1.01.114s. Took me a while to beat the Cappuccino which held the fastest time in our group for the majority of the day. Next time my goal would be to get it to the 1 minute mark or even better, 59 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkl2yhzGBkI&t=4s

Also the new brake combo worked fantastic! :ok_hand: Once they got up to temp, the bite was nothing like I’ve felt before on the Copen. It allowed me to hit the brakes a little later.
I also did not experience any brake fade, neither did the other guys running stock pads. :sweat_smile:
I guess my brake setup is a little overkill for the speeds we were doing haha.

However I couldn’t 100% recommend this combo on the street. The slots on the rotors make a weird buzzing sound, most likely from air pockets between the pad and rotor and the pads. And even though with the stiffer/better pedal feel, the initial bite is not there/weak when they are cold. But I’m still happy with them! :slight_smile:

Here’s a few photos taken by @applegeek897 :heart_eyes: Feast for your eyes. He is seriously one of the best photographers I know out there.

The Office

At the pits

Queued up behind my little brother’s Wagon R and in front of @applegeek897 L700
Also a cool shot to see the alignment for the track

You all have probably seen this photo before. But it’s one of my favourite photos from the day. Just a great shot of a bunch of us chasing each other down. Luke’s Mira Gino, Copen and Wagon R side by side and James’ Cuore in the back. It was seriously so much fun!

Very flat cornering.

Spitting flames

Here’s the last photo for tonight. I love this shot also, shows off the wheel, brakes and fat tyre. Oh and speaking of fat tyre, I ran the 195’s on track and they were great! It fit better that I thought it would. and had plenty of grip. I went with the Nankang NS2 sport street tyre. I wish I could have gone with some semi slicks, but these were the sportiest tyre I could get in 195/45r15. 195/50r15 are just way too tall of a tyre for me, 30mm bigger in rolling diameter compared to the 10mm bigger of the 195/45r15.

Thanks for reading :slight_smile: Catch you on the next one :smiley:

6 Likes

Very very very very nice Pics!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

So, you’re hooked on trackdays then?

2 Likes

Yes definitely haha :smiley: I’ve always wanted to do it, but never had the chance. The tracks we have here are either too far or too expensive. Luddenham Raceway is a good distance away and much affordable.

4 Likes

Yea, the sydney tracks are so expensive. I think one I priced was 4x the price we pay here in QLD for the same thing, but, you guys got an awesome deal at Luddenham! Wish I could’ve travelled down to take part.
After our first one up here, how I was modding my Sirion changed, I went from ‘What mods would be cool?’ to ‘what will make me faster around Lakeside?’:rofl:

3 Likes

Lol I pretty much feel the same now. I’ve hardly done much to my car in 5 years when compared to the extensive stuff I’ve done to my Subaru in the last few. After the trackday I’m done with the Subaru and I’m really going to focus on the Cuore.

3 Likes