DIY factory power window install

Installing factory power windows is REALLY EASY.

In this tutorial i’ll show you how to fit it and wire it up.

The parts you’ll need are…
-Left and right side power window actuators (The front door actuators for the 3 door and 5 door are exactly the same. They even have the same part number).
-2 extra bolts (you’ll see why later)
-Left and right side door covers with switches
-Partial wiring loom (body and door looms)
-30A fuse
-Terminals
-zipties
(You could also use a universal power window wiring kit. Those are cheaply available through ebay. Those contain switches and wiring).

Tools needed…

• A rag
  • Flat blade and philips head screwdriver
  • Terminal crimpers
  • Side cutters
  • 10mm socket and ratchet wrench
  • Duct-tape

Start by removing the door panels.
There are 2 screws and 1 clip to be removed.
1 in the door handle and 1 in the pocket in the armrest.
The clip is behind the window crank and is easily removed with a rag.

Once the clip is up like this you can completely remove it with a flat blade screwdriver.

Crank the window down about as far as in the photo. (If you look closely you can see both bolts holding the window to the actuator arm). Once you’ve removed those 2 you can keep the window up with duct-tape.

The manual arm is held in by 5 bolts and the power one is held in by 6. The bracket bolt pattern is different. Here you can see which were used and are now in use. This is also where the extra bolts come into play.

Now you can start fitting the door wiring. If you use the OE wiring, this is how the little ‘‘bracket’’ is fitted.

The blue and yellow wires are the positive wires. Those need to be connected together and fitted into the fuse block underneath the dash. Don’t forget to place the 30A fuse in the fuse block.

This is the connector it has to be connected to. The red wire i added is to connect the blue wires to the connector.

There’s also a white with black wire that needs to be connected to ground. I put it in the ground block. Just don’t use the 1 spot in the connector that’s blank like i did. It might be a 6 pin connector but only 5 are grounded.

Once everything is fitted and connected you should have functional power windows.

If you have any questions… Feel free to ask!

1 Like