Dolly - Move Canbus

All is right in the world as both @evilhighway and I are both back in Moves!

Story starts early this year, my wife’s 2008 swift had developed an overheating issue, and we were pretty sure it was the head gasket causing it. We had decided that it was time for her to upgrade to a newer and bigger car as the kids are growing. We got the money side sorted and purchased a 2024 Kia Sportage for her. The week we were to pick up the Kia, my l251 developed a misfire on the way home from work. By the time I got home it had dropped a cylinder completely. I tried a few things but really didn’t have the time to go delving deep into the issue, as we were due to fly out to Japan. Weirdly just after my wife bought her Kia, the swift’s issues stopped. So, I started driving the swift to work and parting out the l251 eventually the shell went back to @GrayJR who I had bought the car off in the first place!

The plan from there was for me to keep driving the swift and save up to buy something newer about Christmas next year. My wife had a few things she had as no negotiables for my next car: It had to be no older than 10 years old, it had to be 4 doors, and it had to be kid friendly. Really, I pretty much had my heart set on a Move Canbus anyway, so none of these were an issue. The saving started after we returned from our Japan trip in May. Everything was going well until early August when someone ran up the back of the Swift as my wife was sitting at some traffic lights (it was cheaper on fuel than the Kia, so she would use it occasionally). Luckily, she wasn’t hurt. It took a while to get insurance sorted, so I had a hire car for a while and borrowed a car for a bit too.

At this time, sadly, there were no Canbuses for sale within driving distance. I posted on the Qld Kei Car FB group asking in the off chance that someone might be thinking of selling before I started looking at other Kei vans like the N-Box or the Spacia Gear. That’s when Paula from Auto Dynasty in Sydney reached out to say they had one coming in from Japan, in mint condition and with only 9,700km on the clock. The price they had it up for was too much, but she said they would drop the price if I purchased it before it landed. A deal was struck and a pickup date was arranged. Then a new pickup date was arranged as there was shipping delays :sweat_smile:.

This past Friday was D(aihatsu) Day and I flew down to Sydney, picked up Dolly (named after the late, great Dolly Parton) and drive her 840kms home. She drove perfectly all the way home and I arrived home to the Gold Coast Friday night about 7pm. Saturday morning I gave her a good wash and she was covered in dead bugs and here she stands:

2 Likes

Man I love this and good to see you in a move again.

1 Like

You too!

1 Like