EJ-DE on Carburettors?

Hey there L2D crew.

I have an L501 Mira with a ED-10 carby engine. I have fitted triple Mikuni carburettors that were originally off a Yamaha XJ550 motorbike I had left over from a customers job a while back. The triple Mikuni’s combined with a 2" stainless exhaust I built really made the wee 850cc SOHC come alive!!!

My “worlds smallest car” (as my daughter calls it) went from barely cracking 90kph foot to the floor in standard form to 140kph and still going… OMG we are going to hell on fire on a Daihatsu tin coffin!! Please note: I have no idea how fast this little nugget will go flat out I’m too scared to try…

Anyhow… now to present day…

The poor wee ED-10 engine has definitely seen better days. It leaks all its various fluids from every gasket and it rattles like it could be a diesel.

I do however have an entire EJ-DE engine from my L700 Mire sitting under my bench.

Anyone ever tried fitting carburettors to an EJ-DE engine? I’m basically interested to find out if the ignition is a true distributor or if it’s actually a crank angle sensor that just looks like a distributor like Toyota and other manufacturers did in the 90’s with EFI.

If the EJ-DE actually has a distributor that runs with its own CDI and no input required from the ECU then I will simply remove all the efi gear and modify my manifold to fit my carby’s to the EJ-DE.

Any help from you awesome people would be much appreciated.

Cheers

JtheSpanner

2 Likes

I don’t have any advise but do you have a picture of the setup? The setup sounds awesome

2 Likes

The trigger wheel on the ejde is 3+1 where as a distributor would only be 3 trigger points to my knowledge. I guess you could modify the wheel to work like a distributor or even get the mods done to have one out the back of the head off the slave cam. Or you could get adjustable cam gear for the trigger points to manually adjust it from the 5 degree btdc. Your rev limiter will be restricted though with continuing to use the ecu.

Back in the earlier iteration of this forum there was a member with an ejde and bike carbs. I visited him a couple of times and had a look. I think it had the factory computer still running the ignition. The ECU is all open loop.

2 Likes

[quote=“jthespanner, post:1, topic:6280”]…I have fitted triple Mikuni carburettors that were originally off a Yamaha XJ550 motorbike I had left over from a customers job a while back. The triple Mikuni’s combined with a 2" stainless exhaust I built really made the wee 850cc SOHC come alive!!!..[/quote]Let’s see some imgages. It reads like an interesting project

1 Like

A couple of pics of this filthy little engine bay

5 Likes

If you want to easily stick with the carb setup maybe rebuild your ED bottom end with bigger pistons, I’m pretty sure EJ pistons bring the ED up to the same 989cc and plenty of people shave the head and get good compression even from the old 6 valve heads. Probably less effort rebuilding the ED than making the EJ work unless you have an old ECU somewhere.

1 Like

@144p is right you can rebuild your ed and get it bored out to use ejde pistons. I have done that before and they go good I had an efel head on mine though.
Just an FYI if you do rebuild. the big end bearings on the conrods are the same as ed. The cranks are pretty much the same just the ej crank weighs about 1kg more. The ejde crank is forged and the ed is cast from memory. So the ejde crank is stronger.

2 Likes

[quote=“evilhighway, post:8, topic:6280”]…the big end bearings on the pistons…[/quote]Are you referring to connecting rod bearing sizes?

yes seems my mind was elsewhere when I typed this hahaha! I will go back and fix thanks @Butch_Butcher