EJ Gearbox for L2-L5 With 4x100 suspension

I kept the smaller track from a L700 with all 4x100 brakes and suspension I do have 234mm rotors.

Some good notes I’ve found is that the EJ gearbox fits perfectly fine in the frame rails and uses the original EF box mount.

You need to make an adapter for the clutch cable, or use a different clutch pedal/box assembly, I have made an adapter for the original cable to the new box. IF you use a EF or ED flywheel as they are much lighter at 5.9KG from 7.2KG you need the 3mm spacer found on most manual EJDE engines behind the original flywheel for the starter to engage.

Shifter linkage can be used easy though you have to bend the shifter stabilizer bar to fit and not contact the subframe. The actual shifter rod will also hit the dashboard in L500’s meaning you have to either cut/weld or bend it out of the way.

Also, the original speedo cable from the EF box will not fit EJ boxes. Best to grab a speedo cable for the corresponding box. You also need the battery ground lead from a EJ or K3 type gearbox as original ones from L2/L5 will not fit. The shifter linkages also contact the exhaust, so you have to clearance according to that.

I’ve also been able to fit 175/65/r14’s under my unflared front guards with 14x6+45 wheels on the increased L7 LCA Track.

I’m 105mm from the lowest point at the moment.
I’ll update this coming when I have my cut axles measured and machined into single piece.

4 Likes

Thank you for adding this to the forum as well as FB.

2 Likes

No worries! happy to help!

2 Likes

Did you temper or heat treat the axles to do the job?

1 Like

After I welded them I equalised them with a torch. they seem to hold fairly well, have now driven around 250km on them with no issues. Im still hoping the machinist that made my last 4x100 axle for the EF box will do these for me aswell