Engine noise? Near the camchain/pulleys

Hi, I’ve just bought an l512s Mira AvanzatoR4. It has a 4 cylinder turbo-charged jb-jl engine, and my largest concern with the car right now is that there is some noticeable engine noise coming from the right side of the car, where the pulleys and camchain are located.

My plan going forwards would be to remove the belts to see if this might be related to one of the pulleys, after that I suppose I might have to take a look at the timing chain/tensioner/guides? I’m also going to change the oil because idk how old it is and I’d like to know if there’s any metal in there.

Anyhow, I was wondering if this engine is known for any timing issues, or if the chain ever needs to be replaced? My assumption was that timing chains usually last the life of an engine.

Also, from the photos I’ve seen of the valve cover removed, it seems that only the exhaust cam is actually driven by the chain, and it has a gear which drives the intake cam. Would this be any noisier than a typical dohc engine?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m not real clued up on the jbjl but on a k3 engine the timing chain tensioner’s can fail. So that may be something to take a look at if you cant find what else it may be. Timing chains can also become loose as they can stretch over time. A fried years ago bought a Toyota corona from a tip in Victoria and it ran but was terribly noise when cold. It was the timing chain slapping around when it was cold. the noise used to quieten down once the engine got warm. Not saying it is and not saying it isn’t just some timing chain things I have found.

2 Likes

Don’t know if that’s te sound but can confirm that there is a loud noise coming from my K3 from the timing side which quits down a bit when hot

2 Likes

Okay, that could be it, I haven’t really driven it for longer than a few minutes yet so I’m not sure if the sound ever goes away.

1 Like