Engine swap help G10 charade

Hello all firstly thank you for any help you knowledgable lot may give me, as some of you may know I already own a Daihatsu Terios J100 I use for off-roading and a Daihatsu Cuore L700 that is my daily driver / long term project, the Daihatsu addiction has clearly grown even stronger as I’ve just purchased a 1981 G10 Charade

However there is one ever so slight minor problem with it….

I’m sure something in here is missing I just can’t quite put my finger on it :face_with_monocle:
My question to you all is what engines will fit with minimal work into a G10? The ideal thing would be an original replacement engine at least for now as I plan on keeping this car quite close to original, however Daihatsus are not common in the UK and finding a replacement original engine is proving somewhat impossible so I’m looking for a list of engines that ideally mechanically are a straight bolt in or near straight bolt in, the only daihatsus in the UK we really have left are 90s and 2000s cars so something like an EJ-DE or K3-VE would be ideal due to finding one but any engine suggestions you may have will be Recieved with many thanks

2 Likes

Not cheap, and you’ll be hit with import duty, but this would do the job I think:

The Innocenti Minitre and 990 both used the Daihatsu CB engine and are fairly plentiful in Italy still. There are other engines for sale on ebay too, this was just the first one I found.

1 Like

Thank you for that, I think looking out for one of them that’s complete with gearbox may be the way forward, I want one that’s 100% complete as I’m not sure what’s missing off my car and what the condition of the gearbox etc is
I would quite like an engine from the UK but this may be a viable option, budget isn’t a major issue I’ve already spent around $1000 AUD equivalent on the car so I want to do it right

There is a seller on ebay who has both an Innocenti 990 engine and (separate) gearbox from the same model of car. I assume (but not confirmed) they are from the same exact car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/motoautoshop

they have 2x engines and 2x gearboxes. I would assume combined postage may be a bit less than individual postage since they’d most likely be going onto the same pallet.

These Innocenti engines are they 990/1000cc ? as really they look like an Australian Delivered ED engine but noticed they have EF on the Block?
And did they come in a diesel also?

1 Like

As I understand it, Innocenti started out making rebodied BMC Minis, using BMC A-Series engines. By the late 80s they needed a replacement for the aged power plants and signed a deal with Daihatsu to use the CB engines. Apparently the BMC A-series had become troublesome for Innocenti with warranty issues, hence the switch to the more expensive, but much more reliable Dai engine.

I think Innocenti have some sort of connection to Piaggio who build the Porter (Daihatsu Hijet?) and that has Dai power too IIRC?

I could be wrong on this!

The Innocenti Minitre was available as a diesel too apparently, and also with the 659cc EF engine - basically everyhting the G10 Charade could be powered by, the Innocenti also had?

Thats really interesting as the cb and the e-series are really different. You can interchange the gearbox’s with a few little modification’s (not sure on the cb70/80 though). Looking at the ebay links with the 990/1000 they are pretty much the same style block you will find in L200,L500,L600,L700 and 3cyl sirion. That being the case if @ewdwan was looking for a local engine then the ejde would be the one to go for. Yes efi and not carb so more mods would need to be done but essentially that would be the pick for local.

@ewdwan There is this I found on Facebook and have shared this thread to the post but could be worth enquiring.

1 Like

Ah it was you that outbid me on this! Damn you :joy:

However, I have ED, CB, EJ and K3 engines and boxes in the UK. Have everything you need to put whatever engine you want in it.

Give me a message!

2 Likes

Hello Twitch, I have private messaged you

[quote=“evilhighway, post:5, topic:6517”]…they look like an Australian Delivered ED engine but noticed they have EF on the Block?..[/quote]A 1000 cc EF engine would almost be the Holy Grail, here. The block is unmistakenly an EF. Stating that it’s a “990/1000” can confuse, though

[quote=“Granger, post:6, topic:6517”]The Innocenti Minitre was available as a diesel too apparently, and also with the 659cc EF engine…[/quote]The following is likely the Diesel type in question. Diesels, being heavier cast, would likely need to be paired with stiffer front springs. Turbo Diesels are unbelievably quick, by default

[quote=“Granger, post:4, topic:6517”]…has both an Innocenti 990 engine and (separate) gearbox from the same model of car…[/quote]There are too replacement cluches listed, depending on production year. The gearbox advertised on ebay appears to be of Japanese production or Italian-produced under Japanese license according to Daihatsu design. The second clutch availability couldn’t yet be coordinated to any particular gearbox issuing. Whether or not a previous gearbox design was of either Italian or of British origin is left up to one’s imagination [quote=“Granger, post:6, topic:6517”]…I think Innocenti have some sort of connection to Piaggio who build the Porter (Daihatsu Hijet?) and that has Dai power too IIRC?..[/quote]There’s a remote possibility that maybe a spark plug, oil filter or even clutch plate may interchange. Any love triangle would have began with F.I.A.T. of whom acquired Innocenti in 1990, continuing import of Daihatsu engines

1 Like