EPS Steering Rack ECU Pinout for L500 Cuore/Mira

Hey guys, long time L500 cuore/mira owner here.

I recently got an EPS steering rack fitted into my car. Before this, it had the normal rack without power steering. The problem is I can’t find the input for the speed sensor in the steering rack ECU. The steering works well at low speeds but does not become stiff at higher speeds so the car becomes unstable. I am attaching the picture of steering rack for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PA00928129_e182f2

2 Likes

The speed sensor is likely ABS-controlled. I’ve got the same basic system in my Suzuki Wagon R Wide, except that the assist motor is mounted on the column. My speed sensor is tapped off of the gearbox. It also operates my speedometer. In your case, you’ll likely end up needing to graft-in an ABS ring and sensor onto your present driveshafts

There might be an aftermarket kit that you could graft onto your elec steering. Steering Electronics | eBay Stores
You would need to know your pinout of course. I’ve seen all sorts of elec steering racks put into old race cars or restomods. If you find one that might wire in, do some searches to see how good the controller is, some work better than others as far as feel and speed sensitivity go.

It would be great if you could post a short intro and some pics of you L500 into the “all new people” section. Thanks

Thank you for the feedback. I am still looking for the ECU pinout for the steering rack. I don’t want to experiment with it since it carries with it the risk of damaging the ECU.

For more info, I recently swapped the car from an ED-10 with 5spd manual that comes from the factory to EF-VE with a 4spd automatic. I have the ECU pinouts from the engine ECU figured out but cannot find the pinouts for the steering rack ECU anywhere. I have tried checking all the repair manuals but they only have manual steering racks in them and no electrical connection diagrams.

From what I can tell, this steering rack came in L200S and L500S chassis codes, but I have not been able to find specific repair manual for these.

1 Like

Does your car actually have a speed sensor fitted?
As it was originally ED10 I’d be guessing you’d need to put one from another car that had efi from factory.
I had to do this in my EJ-DE converted L80 Mira

Yeah, I sourced an EF-VE complete with its engine, transmission, axles, gear lever and the speedometer as well. The speed sensor was put but the issue is knowing where the speedometer input goes into the steering rack ECU.

I can see that this EPS came in the L200 and L500 trxx avantazo, but I can’t find any wiring diagram and I don’t want to experiment since it carries a risk of damaging the steering rack ECU.

Also, did you get the EPS where the electric assist motor is on the steering column or the steering rack?

I’d be interested to know how many turns lock to lock this has? Std is normally 3.9:1, which is awful.

This one is slightly better, it’s about 3.2:1 to 3.4:1 I would say. Motor assist really helps, especially when turning the car at a stop.

1 Like

interesting, mine is the complete opposite. Doesn’t work below 5km/h but after that it works good.