FrAsErTaG's L700 Kuor3 - Plus Extras

So something awesome happened today… My Oscars laid fertile eggs :grinning:

For anyone who doesn’t know its not possible to tell the sex of these guys (some claim they can but… Yeah)… Anyway this is quite an achievement for me, this pair is almost 2 years old.

Oh yeah I also collected an engine yesterday… think its called a K3-VET?? something like that…

2 Likes

Congratulations Dad to be :smiley: can’t wait to see the babies, they are so cute :heart_eyes: as for the motor, nice 1 :+1:

Hehe I am already a father :stuck_out_tongue:
But thanks I am quite chuffed

"Before you can breed Oscars you need a male and a female. Unlike many other tropical fish where there is a distinctive difference between the male and the female, there is actually no way to tell the difference between the male and female Oscar just by looking at them. Some people claim they can sex an Oscar by comparing fin shape, colouration or even temperament. However, these claims should be dismissed. Oscars are what we call “monomorphic”, translated to “one shape”. This means that the male and female look exactly the same.

There are really only two known ways of successfully telling apart a male from female Oscar fish. The first involves a process called “venting”. Somebody who knows what to look for will be able to examine the genitals of the Oscar fish. By comparing the shape and size of the opening will determine the sex. The second and absolute 100% guaranteed way of sexing an Oscar is when you see the female laying eggs and then the male fertilising them."

2 Likes

Congratulations. What are their names?

Billie
Danna
Maxie
Levi
Glayds
Alene
Armand
Martha
Fannie
Fermina
Tiffanie
Christene
Brandee
Lynn
Jada
Jere
Nery
Maryln
Tawnya
Benita
Blanca
Retha
Earlie
Stevie
Gabriele
Catrina
Hoyt
Lionel
Bradley
Ivory
Britteny
Michaela
Monty
Maryanne
Talitha
Jeneva
Savannah
Merilyn
Carla
Errol
Jenifer
Bernetta
Keiko
Ula
Altha
Maurita
Ila
Lindsey
Jamika

3 Likes

Good work mate, I used to breed reptiles and can tell you that it’s a bloody good feeling getting youngens.

1 Like

Thanks to @601to602 for the following

2 Likes

So yeah I have picked up the engine.

Head+Block is together, the inlet manifold is off, the exhaust manifolds and turbo are apart.

I have not unwrapped the block yet, it is still in the back of my ute, I don’t want to hurt my back being a hero so probably get it out over the weekend with the use of the crain.

Diagnosis?
I have not inspected every element as it is very well wrapped in plastic but I have looked at the turbo, it looks good, there is no play in the shaft, in or out, up or down.

The gearbox looks in excellent health externally, very clean and such however I know the box I have in my car now is good so I may consider just continuing to run it for now.

Intercooler has a bent fin but other then that it looks good

Body loom plugs for the K3-VE2 computer differ from the K3-VET (P57) and there will have to be some splicing done there which will be interesting… might shave my head before here :slight_smile:

Obviously I want to have a look to check it is ok in side…so I did what any of us would do with it still wrapped in plastic and together… I remove spark plug one and two… and it was nice to see

A nice fresh set of iridium plugs.

I then sent in a micro camera into the bore to see the pistons, number one was at pretty much tdc so I can’t quite tell much… But number two I did get a decent image

See the kinda black line, hard to get a focus on when getting closer but it appears to be permanent marker when you get closer?!?

8 Likes

I was gonna say it looks like a bug flew in there!

1 Like

So today with some help from my wife I got the engine off the ute and into the garage.

I just propped it upright between two tyres for now.

I popped off the rocker cover to have a look inside and it appears to all be rebuilt and nice and clean. As with all K3 engines the head gasket protrudes a bit and it appears to be a brand new copper head gasket!

Now the all important head shot

5 Likes

Good one James i know what a lucky dip it can be, importing an engine from overseas.For your gaskets and things get your part numbers using something like partsfan.com . I use impex.jp for genuine daihatsu parts they take paypal as well.

3 Likes

Yep impex are my go to aswell although i got an email saying they won’t be accepting paypal anymore due to people ripping others off.

if anyone could give me lesson on how to drive partsfan.com id love that

I am chasing:
Rocker Gasket
Exhaust Gasket (I was provided with a new inlet gasket)
Turbo Gaskets

The sump and timing cover look like they have just been sealed up…

@welby or @601to602 Do you just email impex.jp with what you want? I can’t seem to find a search for part numbers.

Did you sign up for an account then you can access the Daihatsu epc.

Impex have a search by part number box just copy paste your part number and they give you a quote instantly

1 Like

Yep what 601to602 said. Copy the part number from partsfan then paste into impex search box.

1 Like

Ice cold morning’s

2 Likes

Holy Snap!

brrrrrrrr i dont miss that shit lol

2 Likes