G205 1.5 flatlines once warm

hey all,
havent been here for a while . Still have the sirion but its retired from road use because its smoking habit got worst. I suspect the rings are frozen in the pistons as it still gets along ok. We’ve been trying our hardest to get them free thrashing it in motokhanas, if any of the faithful on here are chasing a gtvi for parts or restore, I can be real easily convinced to spare it our abuse.
Anyhow, the reason I’m here, at Westlakes car club we have a G203 1.5 donated for our juniors to drive in motorkhanas. Of late, once it warms up the engine falters, stammers, and eventually stalls when you gas it. I blew out the fuel filter and found it ejected a lot of brown crud. After doing this several times with the same result we dumped the fuel which had that lovely stale fuel fragrance. Now with a fresh tank and filter , you can give it hell when its cold, but as soon as it warms it still refuses to play nice. I assume the tank maybe rusty, hence the brown sludge, dont think its awaba dust infultrating the fuel system. MAP sensor line isnt blocked, been there / had that with my old charade. As far as I know, the only cold temp control is the PITA coolant idle control on the throttle body, which I dont think impacts off idle warm or cold. It does Idle OK when its warm, just doesnt want to play anymore. Car isnt setting any check engine lights.
Thinking outside the square, has anyone had a pump out? is there a sock on the bottom which could be collecting tank smue as it runs for a while. Any other thoughts before we retire her

2 Likes

from memory yes they have a sock on the pump and also a filter in the engine bay, might want to look at getting the injectors properly cleaned also, one of mine was totally clogged by fine mud it looked like

1 Like

I would check the temperature sensor, if it’s kaput the ecu will read the engine temperature as -30° and the engine will flood when it’s warm, also check the crank sensor if it’s a hall type (I’m not sure if they have an inductive sensor or a Hall sensor, but engine cutting out when warm is a typical symptom of a failing hall sensor. You can tell the difference by the number of wires going to it, Hall sensor has 3 and inductive sensors have 2). I would also check the tank ventilation, make sure it’s not building up a vacuum.

1 Like

Have you pulled the plugs after the problem occurs? Might help you diagnose the problem, you’ll see straight away if it’s running rich or lean.

1 Like

One more thing to check would be the EGR (if it has one). Just block it of temporarily and go for a drive and see if the problem is still there

1 Like