G2xx suspension?

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the suspension of the G2XX chassis, mainly the Gran Move/Pyzar. As is pretty common (I believe), the rear shocks of my Gran Move aren’t doing much especially the left one, and also the rear springs have had their best time. The car now has an unintentional Carolina Squat - hideous.

Not the greatest picture, but you might be able to tell from the wheelgap on the rear that it’s less than stock, and on the front it’s more than stock.

For some reason, Daihatsu chose to use the same shocks for the Charade as the Gran Move, which is good for parts availability, but they’re a bit too soft for the Gran Move. As are the springs, because if you put 2 people in the back, the rear is getting ridiculously low. So, I’m wondering what people do with G2xx suspension setups when they want to upgrade? If I were to replace all the shocks and springs (including the front), I’d be spending around €900. And then I’d still have shocks and springs that are too soft in my opinion, so I’m thinking maybe a set of coilovers is the way to go?

I found this kit the other day, seems pretty nice for the money:

I know that this is for a Charade, but you can ask for stiffer springs and of course turn up the dampingrate. I’ve seen a lot of Yellowspeed before as well, but compared it looks like Ceike offers a bit more customizing options.

I’d like to hear your opinion!

Springs are about ride height and “soft hard”. Shocks are about controlling the spring oscillation and should be thought of a fast/just right/slow. Those coilovers will be harsh. Small diameter springs even at the same right as large diameter tend to be harsh (I can explain that if you need to know whey), The front coils are often too stiff and the rear not stiff enough. The valving for the shock/damper are often on the slow side and the change between the “clicks” is not linear. The external canisters on these are prob more for show than doing anything worth while. These units tend not to last long. In “cheap” BC Racing are the best entry level units.

1 Like

I am aware of how springs and shocks work, I am ill and couldn’t find the right terms in English. Problem is that the car overall is too wollowy, and the rear can not even cope with its own weight. After a bump, the car is underdamped and sags too much. So, I need stiffer springs and shocks to match them.
There is no way to make separate springs here, and even if that would be possible, they wouldn’t match the shocks. Apart from that, there is no BC set for the G2XX chassis, hence why I provided the other options.

1 Like

Under damped in the rear as you note means stiffer springs and then damper/shocks to match. I am sure there would be a way to “make separate springs”. There’ll be something out there. I suggest you measure the springs and use an online calc to figure out the current rate you have. Decide on a rate prob double for the rear and leave the front std. Even if you end up with a non adjustable non-gas damper/shock you can always play with the oil viscosity to match the spring.

1 Like