Gramps (1991 Applause Ri Sports)

Grabbed this one for $600 last weekend, all original with only 105km on the clock. I just bought one a couple weeks ago but this one is so much nicer haha
You can see my other one over the back

Few bits and pieces to install but trying to keep it as “grandpa-spec” as possible. Went to change the rear speakers but realised i have 6 1/2" speakers so ill have to go buy some 6" to fit properly.

Thats all for now!

6 Likes

Modified the old casette deck bracket and frame to suit my new radio nice and sturdy.

2 Likes

What plans have you got for this, nice daily?

Pretty much, might do some subtle modifications like skieskirts (I’ve heard CRV? ones fit well) . If I find a place for my other Applause to stay as it’ll be unregod, might strip it out (document it as I go) and throw a small turbo on it for shits and giggles at the local hillclimb (I used to race a hilux tray-back but I sold it last week)

1 Like

Don’t mean to sound negative at all, just looking out for your nice daily. Was the timing belt done at 100k?

1 Like

Yeah it was, due for a service before I register it.

I considered picking this up and selling my gen 2 but man that front end is just not for me. Don’t even get me started on he vomit inducing Gen 3 Applesauce…

Decent buy for an unregistered Applesauce.

What was the problem with the stereo bracket in the end?

It might have been someone else’s purchase post but I said to someone that 6.5s won’t fit not th parcel shelf.

You could chuck in some angled raising spacers to fit it if you were really keen but even my 6x9s are pretty decent.

If you are doing front door speakers also, wouldn’t go over 5 inch unless you want to cut the door trims or never put the window down either.

What’s the stereo deck you put in anyway?

@ybot The stereo bracket had the plastic thing where the old radio bracket screwed into and i needed to get a screw in from behind, all done just have to wait until i have spare time to work on it.

The 6.5"s i got were free from the wreckers so nothing lost there (other than theyre some good Alpines, ill use them in my 4x4) What size speakers are stock in the front doors and how do you remove the door card to get to them?

The radio i bought is a Joying Android headunit that ive modified the launcher and apps on, heres a video of one being used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fuW8VDKWTw

Door cards there is a small phillips head screw in the centre of the door handle bracket that comes out. The door plastic door handle and release mechanism stays on, just rotate it to clear the door card once you have enough free play. Two (maybe three) larger phillips head screws are accessible from the underside of the larger handle need to be removed, and you need to pop the plastic shroud out covering the push down door lock.

The plastic shroud clips will come out with a reasonable amount of convincing. Just be careful not to break anything beyond repair otherwise back to the wreckers if you’re lucky enough to have one nearby.

Once you get all that out, there are several large plastic clips that keep the door card in place. They won’t need as much force as the door lock clip but will pop out nicely.

The door card slides backwards to come out and forwards to go back in.

Throw up some pics just in case it’s any different to mine or previous ones

1 Like

@ybot Good steps there, i got the door card off easy and got the front passenger speaker out, its all rotten. Ill post a step-by-step with photos for future reference (dunno if this is the right spot).

I will be purchacing new speakers tomorrow and most likely install them over the weekend.

Here is a pic of my door card for reference:

2 Likes

Update: Got the stereo installed, just need to adjust the screen. Going to post some pics and info on how to take the door cards off etc, sorry if im in the wrong spot for this.

Took the other Applause to hillclimb, got it up on 3 wheels haha

1 Like

Moved door trim guide to my A101 thread
Door Trims

2 Likes
== Applause Headunit Replacement ==

(Pics from a Gen2 but from what i can gather a Gen1 is identical apart from some electrical connector shapes)
  1. Remove the ashtray by pressing down on the top of it and pulling it out of the way. Behind it there is a single screw, remove it.
  1. From the bottom of the surrounding trim, pull up gently until it unclips then slowly work the top clips out. Do not pull hard as the cigarette lighter and (if installed) the ashtray light will be connected and damage could be done.

2. Optional step, Remove the cigarette lighter to make working in the area easier. This is done by either removing the black pocket below the headunit and disconnecting it but there is a easier way. Unclip the white plug on the top of the cigarette lighter and then unscrew the cigarette lighter into its individual parts, then the trim should pull away easy. Here’s what you should end up with.

2 Likes

Bollocks forgot to post the photos I took this morning when I gave the car a clean. :rofl:

Screw in door handle comes off

Plastic shroud surrounding door lock needs to be taken out, lifted up

Larger screws in door handle to be taken out

Door light screws taken out and light fitting unplugged

Metal clip on door handle pulled, can be done with angled pliers or small hook, a bitch to get back on

Plastic triangle as previously seen

Once all the screws are done, pop the plastic screws on the inside of the door trim and twist the door handle to clear the space and lift the trim to clear the door lock and slide backwards to pull the whole trim out

As for speakers well good luck getting anything over 5 inch in unless you want to modify the door card / trim to suit a large speaker or don’t ever want to open the window :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Gen 1 and 2 would be near identical insides, gen 3 :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face: no idea, no ones had one in the group that’s been worked on that I can recall. Or if there is there hasn’t been much info about it posted that I’ve seen.

Installed some LED headlights and in the meantime fixing the rear bit of the car (bumper, washer pump etc) ready for rego at the end of the month. Found out on my current Applause the headlight wiring is burnt out and thats why my lowbeam is fucked haha

3 Likes

Finally got Gramps registered, stripped the other one out so if anyone wants to buy parts for cheap (might sell the car has 1mo rego if i cant race it) feel free to pop me a DM or text me 0412914362

Saw my old car again too

3 Likes

Haven’t double checked the part number with the Monroe website/ catalogue but there’s a bargain for ya

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/monroe/monroe-gt-gas-with-reflex-suspension-strut/p/A9250814

1 Like

Perfect, ill keep that bookmarked for when im ready!