Hi from Australia!

hello, I bought a l500 Centro a bit ago and have been looking I to fixing the issues with it. the dude I bought it off somehow forgot the coolant and drove it. He got the head resurfaced and fixed some other parts on it before I bought it off him.

though it does have some pretty buggered other problems, it burns alot of oil when the motor is under load, and makes it hard to see for people behind you. from reading the forum a bit it sure looks like you guys have heaps of knowledge and manuals for them so I might be able to fix stuff on it!

thanks!

1 Like

My educated guess is you are going to have to replace the rings. I have once done this on a Mira in the car pulling the head and sump. Hone as lightly as you can, the casting is “soft”. Mind you with the head off measure the bore to make sure you can get away without needing to go to oversize pistons and a rebore.

1 Like

Hi and welcome.
I agree with @Mr_Gormsby and sounds like it will be the rings that need replacing. Also the fact that the head was resurfaced hopefully means the valve stem seals were also replaced and the points more towards the the issue being the piston rings.
Out of curiosity is it the efel engine or the efgl? The gl has a carb but is twin cam and the efel is fuel injected.

it is the ef-el motor, and has pretty much everything from factory. I have a photo of the block and the head that the bloke took for me but am unsure how to upload it on a phone.

I did take it to my local mechanic, and he just wants to replace the motor and gave me a figure of about 1100$AUD to do that.

Hey, Give this a go. The vac line from front of intake manifold that goes to valve cover, Block intake side and route the valve cover vent to the airbox. That pipe causes a lot of issues in ef-el engines causing lots of smoke making people think it is a bad engine. Try this first :slight_smile:

1 Like

omg I usually tell everyone this and completely forgot. Definitely try what @Luke suggested it costs nothing and have seen this personally do wonder’s. ( I even told luke about this one and he tried it and all fixed :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

ahh okay! ill give that a try. here is the photos the guy sent me when he got the head resurfaced and did the gasket. head photo (1)
block photo

2 Likes

did what @Luke and @evilhighway said with the vac line and unfortunately still smokes a heap after taking it around my area and up some hills. so it looks like I’ll have to see how much it would be for the rings to be replaced. the car idles fine, but once it’s up to temp and under load it doesn’t like it at all.

2 Likes

oh wow. that sucks for sure :frowning:

2 Likes

Jeez $1100? You could nearly get a Turbo engine shipped from Japan for that much.

1 Like

it would be over double that at a good guess these days.

1 Like

and installation and if it has problems…

2 Likes