HiJet stuff

So i just noticed a strange noice coming from the right front wheel of the hijet. Does anyone know if the wheel bearings can be replaced or do you need to replace the entire hub? Since there is nothing else near the front wheel that can make this sound we assume that is must be the wheel bearing.

Thanks in advance!

If you have the DAIHATSU Hijet Van (S85), then yes, you can change the bearing. But at first jack up your car (MCM LoL), at the front right and with neutral on the gearbox, roll with your hand the wheel. If you hear the same sound you were hearing while the car was moving, it’s the bearing. Otherwise could be the drive shaft.

1 Like

Good tip, will try that out. Drive shaft is not possible. It’s a real race car with rear wheel drive :wink: it’s not the van but it has the campervan kit on it. It was clear that it came from the right front and you couldn’t hear the sound when turning the wheels so i don’t think it’s the strut bearing.

Ps: as a reward I’ll post some pictures of the camper :wink:

1 Like

Winter has fallen so I’m sorry to inform that we didn’t have the time, worm clothes and mood to check the hijet. When we do I’ll make sure to post the answer here :slight_smile:

We never found the problem. The sound had stopped so we figure it was just the old lady complaining about the weather.

But the next issue that every hijet seems to have keeps popping up. The headlights keep rusting. Original ones cost 300+ euro and imitation only 60. Anyone has any experience with the imitation lights?

New lights came in, installing them was easy. Only needed to get the knob of that controlled were the light shines (left/right). Replicas are also made of glass and looks really good so I can recommend them. They are 5 times cheaper than original so worth a try if someone needs to change the lights.

Left is the new imitation. Right one is original. You can see the orange glow from the rust.

2 Likes

Well when finally had time to check it al. We didn’t find anything strange other that that the brake parts had no grease in them, the slider bolt etc. Zo we tore the brake apart. Cleaned everything and lubed it al up. Hopefully that will stop the noice.

Now the moment you’ve all been waiting for: some pictures of the inside.

Sorry for the mess, as you can see most of the stuff is gone now. It is inside to get cleaned. Left and right you can see the bench on which normally some big cushions are placed all in 60/70 year style.

Here you can see the space under the bench. Loads of storage space.

This is the front, you can see the cab through the window. Notice the outlets, there are a couple of them and you can hook the hijet up on the main power grid so everything works inside!

More storage space over the cab. This is also a perfect place for a child to sleep.

This is the main power controller. You can see how much power and current there is left in both the battery’s (yes there are 2 of them). You can also switch between 12v and 240v and check how much water is till left in the tank. You can also switch between power source and control what is getting charged and by what.

This is the kitchen with working stove and fridge. Luckily the camper had some extendable legs so you can stabilize the whole hijet. Otherwise cooking would be allot more stressful as the hijet moves around when walking or when there is wind blowing.

Here you can see the sink (under the boardgames). It has its own water supply and allot of storage underneath.

Here you can see the storage above the sink. It is a returning theme to get allot of storage in the smallest of spaces.

All in all it is a guarantee for attention. Don’t camp in a hijet if you want to be left alone. Everyone want so see the inside and everyone wants to know how it all works. With campers getting bigger each year most people simply are unable to understand how everything you need can be packed in such a small camper. The secret to succes is to pack wisely and don’t demand to much unnecessary luxury.

4 Likes

The wheel bearing broke while on holiday in the UK. Had to wait till parts arrived wich took some time.

At least now we know for sure what the origin of the sound was.

[quote=“Mophius, post:6, topic:3213”]…Replicas are also made of glass and looks really good so I can recommend them. They are 5 times cheaper than original…[/quote]If the internal mirroring is of high quality, you shouldn’t need to replace these headlamps ever again. I only wish that glass replacements were available, for my 601