James' Daihatsu Cuore L700 - SKD555

How are your photos always so damn good!? Do you use a proper camera?

Clean as hell and a detailed write up as usual, nice work!

1 Like

Haha thanks man, it’s what I do for work :slight_smile:

No iPhones here :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

May 2020: Let me tell you this was not a labor of love. It was a huge pain in the arse. And mid install I was truly ready to pack up, light a match, and watch it burn, almost. I wasn’t great with documenting this time round, I didn’t have the patience for it.

Started with ripping it to pieces.

Then straight into cleaning the floor, and laying down the sound deadening.

With everything but the doors done I wanted to start roughly marking up things. I was so off here but it took so many failed attempts to work this out. I knew that I needed to be 16mm to clear the speaker on the door. This was wayyy too much.

One thing I did know is the factory self tapping screws were not going to cut it for mounting. So I drilled and added some M6 nutserts into the door.

With that sorted I wanted to really focus on getting the wiring nice. I planned on running the five-channel amp under the passenger seat. Plus the cross overs will be out the doors and in the cabin on their respective sides.

All wiring on the amps are using ferrules.

Daihatsu actually were really good with leaving spots to route cables though to keep things neat.

After realising that I was stupid and that 16mm spacers didn’t have a chance in hell of fitting underneath the door cards I took the opportunity to get a Dremel so I could sadly cut the door wholes bigger.

While I was there I also got started on running the woofer wire.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49861478592_37ec84df76_k.jpg[/img)]

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49861479102_5a5298e0f3_k.jpg[/img)]

Also tweeters. Going here for now but will look at a better solution later on.

Crossovers then wired up.

Doors then got sound treated inside and out.

And much thinner 9mm spacers went on. Yes I fixed the dented cone before it went on for good.

I decided to leave the rear speakers for another time with all the wiring there and waiting. So with that, it meant the carpet could go in for the last time.

6 Likes

May 2020: Couple small things happening at the moment. Firstly I took advantage of the hoist to quickly drop the transmission oil and replace with some nice Pentrite Pro Gear. Shifts so much better now.

I always got a cluster with a taco, normally a bit hard to find EJ ones with the correct redline of 6.5K. Started with ripping the old out.

Cuore Cluster Swap by James Greig, on Flickr

Cuore Cluster Swap by James Greig, on Flickr

New one went in. Sadly it had a broken clip but it seems to be ok. I’ve got a much better looking one for when I put the EF in.

8 Likes

Nice cluster!

We usually replace the gearbox oil for ATF to make it shift better. Been doing that for years.
Even used it on diffs that have wear problems with huge success.

1 Like

been any repercussions on doing this at all? as in life span of gearbox’s etc?

1 Like

From my experience there are no downsides to it. We’ve never had anything fail prematurely or any complaints afterwards.
ATF seems to be better on the synchro’s and because it’s thinner than gearbox oil, it gets to the bearings a bit better. And even though it has less sticktivity than gearbox oil i don’t think it will do much harm.

Years ago we had a competition 4X4 that just kept destroying diffs. The last diff we put into it was wearing extremely as well. Then we decided to put ATF in it and the wear suddenly stopped.

I’ve been thinking about experimenting with ATF in manuals to check the longevity of both the gearbox and oil. But i don’t own a manual myself plus i don’t drive enough with my personal car to proper testing, and i’m pretty sure my boss won’t let me do it with the company car.

3 Likes

What combo is the EF?

Don’t have one yet, that is just the plan. In no rush to swap out for now.

1 Like

June 2020: So as I’ve mentioned before I’ve been trying to track-down this annoying lean out I’m having on acceleration. I’ve tried 2 of the most obvious possibilities already and the 3rd option to try was a new fuel-pump. Nothing special here, just a factory replacement.

Popped the rear seats out the car to discount the pump.

Plus everything else that needed doing.

Out she came.

I’m surprised how clean it is in the tank.

Old pump could then come out the old hanger and replaced by the new one.

Buttoned up and back in.

I really thought this would be it, but its still doing it. More things to test I suppose.

4 Likes

Hey James, using your thread as inspiration again and SCA has a 25-50% off sale today only I am getting the ‘Penrite Pro Gear 75W-85 2.5 Litre’ for $35.24. Any tips of tricks in doing the fill for this?

Where did you get the fuel pump from?

Something like this will do the job

The fuel pump I got from Bursons Auto.

2 Likes

Actually the 2.5L bottle I bought is quite narrow and comes with a pull out silicon hose so I should be able to top feed it into the fill port without issue.

June 2020: I’ve always been a big fan of replacing factory halogen lights with LED’s, however, in the past I’ve had bad luck with them not lasting. Which is why I spent quite a bit more for high quality ones that come with warranty. I grabbed four iilumino T10 High Output 360’s in 6000K cool white.

Started with the numberplate lights first.

The covers were super dirty, wouldn’t be helping light output.

Old vs New

Here are the before.

50/50

And after.

Parkers came next.

Before and Afters.

My lights are terrible in my garage but they are pure white not blue.

A good friend also surprised me with a little present. A JDM OEM handbrake cover.

6 Likes

Wow they make a massive difference those globes.

Hello! Greetings from the UK. This is one epic build. Really apprieciate the attention to detail. I just wondered firstly, do you have an instagram I can follow? I’m also having this strange wide open throttle issue, like a fuelling problem, a stutter under load, just wondered if you got to the bottom of it?

This thread was an awesome read from start to finish, and it convinced me to keep my cuore red and not paint it :+1:

2 Likes

Sadly I haven’t managed to fix the issue. Still more testing to figure out what it could be.

My insta is @_jamesgreig :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What an absolute banger of a thread, can’t wait for more! My compliments to your writing and photography. Simply amazing man!

1 Like

This is an awesome transformation. I have a Cuore L701 from 2000, wish I could make mine look this cool. This has given me some motivation to do more with my Cuore. Thanks for this.

1 Like