Joel's '99 L700 Mira

I bought my Mira in January 2020 as my first car and have currently done a few ‘mods’ to it that I’d like to share. I bought the car for $500 with 347000kms on it. Picture below is how it currently looks.

January 2020: Starting things off, this is how the mira looked the day I got it. A standard l700.

IMG-4982

I started by finding a mira at the wreckers and took a few bits and pieces off it for my one to replace broken or worn out parts (mainly for the interior)

March 2020: I knew I wanted to lower it and put some different wheels on it. I looked around for lowering springs but in the end I went back to the wreckers to find some different options. I found that struts from a move are shorter and bolt on with some minor modifications to lower the front. For the back I went with springs from an l200 mira and shorter shocks from an older Nissan wingroad. Being from a wagon they were alot stiffer which is good. Overall the car was about 30mm lower.

(Struts from a move vs the original mira ones)

(Before lowering)

(After lowering)

(This is after some skids in the wet paddock during lockdown)

I found these 14" Black Racing Watanabe reps (unsure of the specs) in the corner of dad’s shed and tried them on the car to see if the offset would be good.

With some black paint and some lower profile tyres they’d be perfect. So off came the old tyres and I got to work sanding all the old paint off the wheels.

I spray painted them matte black and mounted up some 165/55 tyres I got cheap at the wreckers and they were ready to try on the car.

I only found 3 tyres at the wreckers so I’d have to wait to put the new wheels on.

Another find at the wreckers were some seats from a sirion which are a great upgrade from the original seats.

4 Likes

April 2020: Another trip to the wreckers I came across a crashed l700 with only 70000km. My old motor was pretty worn out and had a bad oil leak. So I took the low km ej-de to put in my car at some point.

July 2020: I bought two second hand tyres from a tyre shop and could finally put my wheels on.

1 Like

January 2021: Took the mira to caffeine and classics car show and a k3 swapped mira turned up and parked alongside mine.

1 Like

March 2021: This was a big milestone, the mira ticked over 350000 km. I really wanted to get a picture but there was nowhere I could pull over but I still managed to get one.

1 Like

June 2021: After a year since getting the new motor, I decided it was time to do the engine swap. Old motor out and new one in in a weekend. The new one is so much smoother and quiet and goes heaps better.

I painted my rusty wiper arms. Don’t know why I didn’t sooner they look so good.

Then gave the engine bay a quick clean.

Also polished the car with some spray on wax and some rags, it looks great in the rain.

I thought it would be a good idea to cover my light grey rear seats with a blanket so they are a closer match to the front seats. Definitely much better.

2 Likes

August 2021: Fitted some orange park lights for a bit of a different look. (Orange and white being the only legal colours)

And some brighter headlight bulbs.

(Before)

(After)

2 Likes

Great write up. Cool Dai. Welcome.

1 Like

I agree 100% great write up and welcome.

1 Like

October 2021: So I bought another mira from my local wreckers, it’s a 2002. Got a few bits off it and have some ideas for it in the future. But the main thing I wanted from it was the cluster with a rev counter!

20211006_110816

So tonight I installed the new cluster. Was happy the plugs were the same so it was just plug and play. Also adjusted the kms to match what’s on the car.

20211014_180956
(Old)

20211014_181009
(New)

I also took the later model Taillights off the other car with the clear indicators. I think they look way nicer!

20211014_170718
(Before)

20211014_174531
(After)

7 Likes

January 2022: Today marks two year of daihatsu ownership.

Collage 2022-01-16 16_13_26

I’ve been experimenting with a bonnet I got off a crashed mira from the wreckers trying to make it look patina. I sanded it back to bare metal then spray painted some red, blue and black, sanded it back some more and let the remaining bare metal rust and I’m very happy with how it looks.

20220116_185318

2 Likes