Kia Hatsu Pregio Camper Van Build! and some travel included!

I was never going to do a build thread here for my Kia pregio van!
However after @marc0tjevp 's 2003 astra thread I thought why not.
It will probably not have many write ups as the majority I have done is you tube updates that are unedited and just directly uploaded from my phone. That is honestly due to laziness and I cant be bothered editing video’s when they are pretty much just for me but public incase it helps anyone.

Here is a little how it started info before I start posting the youtube vids.

Last year I sold My Commodore Tow vehicle so I could get a Van as My Mrs and I started doing a stall at a local market and a Van was much easier to pack and unpack with lots of room to take all the forsale items. (Mainly Plants). We kept an eye out for a van but not really pursuing one. The pregio came up cheap and so we went for it and got it.
It came with a rwc so that was good but the heater was stuck on and the ac worked once and never again.
I bypassed the heater as it was summer and getting way too hot in there.
The van worked well for what we wanted and then we got news we had to move house.
Long story short for anyone not in AU but we have a housing crisis. Ususally when we would go to apply for rentals we would apply for maybe 3 and get a choice of at least 2 as we had a great record. This time was different however and we ended up homeless for about a week. We had storage for our belongings and ended up with a house about 3.5hrs away from where we currently lived.
The van was perfect for moving and towed our trailer and the van fully loaded really well.
Its biggest draw back is it is incredibly slow as soon as you start to tow with it but being a diesel it is good on fuel and does get to places eventually.
Before we became homeless I built a bed in the back as I didnt know how long we would be homeless for. We were lucky and got to couch surf for the week before starting our move to the new house.
Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago and we had another life-altering event. I won’t go into that but it started the beginning of building the Pregio as a proper camper and fixing it up in the process as we go.
As with all my stuff it will be built with budget in mind but trying to make it workable and comfortable at the same time.
Here is some pics and vid links etc. I will try to get them in order lol
here is the bed when I first built it and put it in

4 Likes
2 Likes

In between these somewhere we did do a camping trip to NSW for a few days and had a great time here is a Vid of woodburn and a some pics from various spots we stopped.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Glad to kick start another non-Dai thread hehe.
A campervan is on my bucket list so thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

Always interesting to see what other hobbies/interests everyone has!

1 Like

The fishing I did was the first fishing I had done in about 8 years and didn’t even have bait. I improvised by using hamburger mince wrapped in mushroom skin hahaha! The Fish I caught was an eastern cod and it was released as it is an endangered species and undersize also.

1 Like
4 Likes

Done a little bit more of late so here is an update!

3 Likes

little bit more

2 Likes

next update solar panel on and wires ran to in the vehicle!

4 Likes

The downforce must be amazing! Can you actually drive with it installed or do you have to take it off while driving? Good call on putting the wiring in the original rubber, looks neat.

Highly doubtful with any down force lol It is just more stuff to slow me down haha! I haven’t driven it yet but yes it will be up there it is very secure.
Took me ages to get that up there so it won’t come down in a hurry. I had a roof basket on there before the solar panel was on.
I put it in this spot so I can have my surfboard and something else next to it on the rest of the roof. Possibly, another solar panel or a roof pod. Depends how much I can get IP there.

2 Likes

Here is the latest update! The big wang (solar panel) is holding nicely and doing everything its is supposed to do with no issues.

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

It’s been a while but going ahead with the project ready for June/July.

4 Likes

been getting stuck in a bit lately.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Nice! If there is one thing I hate doing it’s wiring.

1 Like

Same and I haven’t finished yet but now I know I have all the power and charging ability I will need. I had to do a bit of yoga to get the wires through some parts or it was pull it all apart again. So Yoga it was! haha

2 Likes