Ko the Cuore (L701) [Sold]

I was looking for something like that, but I didn’t see it. Any chance you might have a picture?

I believe it’s either the unpainted piece of metal or the black hook thing on the inside.

Not sure though.

1 Like

Thanks! Now that I see it I remember. I did see this on the junkyard but I thought mine had it as well. Guess I just forgot it. I’ll pick one up and try again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m so happy! This set of Gino tails just arrived from Japan and I had to immediately install them. They are in great condition too!

3 Likes

L700 coilover options are very slim over here in the Netherlands. There’s a BC racing set for ~1000eur available but I wasn’t ready to spend that money. I opted for a cheaper VW Polo 6N set from Triple S that I could get for 250eur. I also bought 2 new aftermarket top mounts and two new turning bearings.

After quite some time we managed to make one of the struts fit the top mount with the bearing in between. We also needed to drill out the bolt holes.

After playing around with the positioning of the bolts we got the wheels to line up quite straight on boths sides.

The result is quite nice! She corners absolutely amazing and it’s super stiff. The rear was already really stiff because of the Bilstein shocks + lowering springs. For the rear I need some more lowz now. Maybe find a better lowering spring or cut these. We’ll see. But for now I drive around like a drag car.

8 Likes

The thinner coil gives the impression that smaller road irregularities would be better absorbed, meaning a more comfortable ride?

It doesn’t do much for comfort. It’s basically just a helper spring that keeps the upper spring seated. This is a pretty good read on the matter: Springs 101 – What is a helper spring? - Raceland

As for comfort: there is none :joy: .

The comfort can only be improved, over that of the originals, I’m guessing

It really depends what you call comfortable. It’s comfortable in the way that the chassis no longer rolls in corners. On the other hand it’s really bumpy and stiff. Personally I love a stiff suspension and feeling every little bump in the road.

Either way my original front suspension was completely worn out. So a replacement was overdue.

2 Likes

It’s good to know that the Polo struts will interchange with the originals. Especially because, the replacements provide for replacement of only the cartridge itself, without requiring replcement of the entire strut. I’ve not yet seen the tower bearings on these second generation Cuores. But if they’re carry-overs from the 501s, than the Polo bearings could only have improved longevity of these towers.
I’m assuming that you filed the mounting holes eccentricly, so as to allow alignment adjustments?

Yes, that’s exactly what I did. The Polo mounting holes are a tad different so drilling them out is a must to fit them. It’s a bit of work but the result is quite nice, even allows for a bit of front camber.

2 Likes

New toy

If this little fella looks familiar to you, that’s because it’s @Aaron’s old Cuore. I purchased it from him for a few reasons:

• TR rear bumper (finally :roll_eyes: )
  • TR front bumper (might sell)
  • TR rims (already had a set but these are amazing)
  • Nice steering wheel
  • Flocked interior parts

The idea is to pick the parts for Ko and then sell this Cuore as pretty much stock (although well optioned :smile:).

I must say this car drives like a dream. The automatic transmission (3 speed) is really nippy. Sadly it’s mileage is a bit too much for me. That was the deciding factor as to which Cuore to keep and put all the nice bits on…

I just need to score a few parts to build it back to stock, especially a nice front bumper. Preferably in colour. If you have a blue facelift or prefacelift bumper laying around in The Netherlands or Belgium please hit me up! Thanks for the offers, currently have everything I need!

And as always Ko says hi!

5 Likes

Aww if only I was closer, those tr bumpers are impossible to find anywhere near me :sob:

1 Like

It’s not so easy here either :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wheels

I started by swapping the wheels. Damn does it look good. Really happy with these original wheels. Sometimes OE is just the best :smiley:.

6 Likes

Looks cool. I didn’t know these were factory alloys. I don’t think I’ve seen any Cuore here is South Australia with factory alloy wheels. I know the factory 13 inch steel wheels have the clearance for M101 Sirion 1.3 brake discs and calipers.

1 Like

Over here in The Netherlands there were some options for alloys but not these. I think these were only an option in Japan, specifically for the TR.

The Sirion calipers seem to just fit with these wheels so I’m definitely picking up a set!

3 Likes

You could get them in Germany on the ‘Fun’ edition, which is basically a full TR L7

1 Like

I am not 100% sure, but I think in Germany these rims have been standard on TRs.
We had a dealership here in town and as far as I can remember every TR had these wheels.
The dealer always equipped them with SCHMIDTS, SMOOR or PLS wheels and a centered double exhaust pipe.

1 Like

Yes, they were called FUN over here and I can remember that a lot of them got these big Sunroofs (like in Renault Twingos)…

1 Like