My 1984 swift called poop

Here is my 1984 swift and an intro vid it. I dont currently have a daihatsu and that is the first time in about 10 years. I still have alot of parts but no car currently so I thought I would share my swift and some of what happens with that in the meantime.

9 Likes

https://www.willowbankraceway.com.au/events/?EventGroupID=159&EventID=138&fbclid=IwAR2EtAFtAOzyuHg40Lej3zfpG3DGGlvzPyD8qYDBY0-j9yvIR-FFkANn8xY

If any QLD People want to come along and join the fun please do so I am aiming to try to get under 20 seconds with the swift. Its only $10 to spectate or a car load of 5 for $25

3 Likes

Here is my reults and it is actually better than I thought it would be as I was expecting to run a 20 and just wanted to beat what the move got when it was N/A and that was a 20.5. I really think this swift has a lot more potential than I ever thought it did in the past. I will link videos from the night when Dan uploads them.

3 Likes

It is a cool little poop. Mentioning that it might be a better base to start; what are your plans?

well first up I am going to try my hand at turboing the original engine with the carby at low boost at about 7psi. I got my hands on a charade turbo hat so far and have either a td04L (ready to go) ot a rhb32 ( needs rebuild) to go on it but Im not in a hurry as I dont have much money to spend.
I have an exhaust bung to weld in somewhere and for the time being I can use a narrow band just to tell me if it’s lean or rich and try to keep it in the rich. ( I just need to plug it in to an efi car that is at 14.7 afr so I can set the adjuster on it).
I really want a wideband but dont have the coin for it atm.
I have spoken to a few charade cb60 people and some of them seem to say that the stock charade carby (N/A) can handle about 7 psi boost. I had a quick look at a charade carby compared to the suzuki carby and at a glance the suzuki carb seems a bit bigger in atleast its secondries and I have a suspision they are the same carb used on the 1.3L sierra’s etc so I may have a bit more adjustment for air and fuel with them over the charade carb. I have not played with carbs for years so it’s all re learning everything again.
Some info I have learnt about the engine is that it is a non interference engine so if rod’s , crank ,piston’s ring’s etc all hold up then it will be good and not as much worry about valves and pistons getting a harsh introduction.
If this fails with turbo carb I have a few options I could use all the efi gear I have from move and/or mira to make it efi with mods obviously but I think I would need better fuel lines etc also and have never dropped the tank on the swift so I have no idea on in tank pump or other wise.
If the engine fails I have enough parts to put an ef/ed franken in it and make efi also.
That is an option while as cool as it would be to have dai parts running a swift I think If the engine does fail then looking at an m series engine swap from a newer swift would be a much better option. More parts readily available than a 1.3 gti engine also and probably less expensive as I could buy a whole car for $1000-$2000 and have most of everything I need for the swap.
Lots of thought and potential plans but for now I will work out what I can do with most of what I have.
Here is a vid from the other night at the drags and on I shared on my fb a chevy sprint vid with a 3cyl (suzuki swift in america) doing a 15 sec 1/4. ( I didnt know how to share it here lol)

4 Likes

If you are looking for an M series, then l you could look at a M18A out of a Liana. Or as some of the swift sport people are doing, M18A block with M16A head (takes minor mods to do).

1 Like

yeh Im not much up on the m series info does help and thats a good starting point. whatever way even if just a standard something it will be a big upgrade considering the swift weighs about the same as a mira

1 Like

Very true, the M15A will put you in k3ve2 territory power wise, but with more torque and torque that is more useable. Would be a very fun car.

1 Like

not much happening here with the exception of the wheels from the mira to the swift and they look good which was completely unexpected.

2 Likes
2 Likes

[quote=“evilhighway, post:5, topic:2348”]…I have a few options I could use all the efi gear I have from move and/or mira to make it efi with mods…[/quote]How would all of that mate up to a Suzuki engine?
We had the second generation Swift which probably shared the same basic engine with yours. It was a single overhead camshaft unit with one central fuel injector where the carburetor would have been. It was a bit thirsty, probably because it had the 3-speed automatic. The vehicle appeared to be heavier than yours. The injection helped move our Swift adequately, though. If you could find a drivetrain from one of those and then torbo boost it through that single point injection throttle, that might be the easiest way to go

If I was going to do anything It would be to fit the 3cyl charade turbo carby and top hat etc and make an exhaust manifold and boost the stock engine. To go efi I would look at the later m series engies. There is a few people here in AUS that have done an M series swap and you can buy conversion bracket’s. Knowing me I would just make my own. I managed to physically fit a k3ve into a. L200 and the swift has heaps more room so I would say I would be able to fit an m series in there also. The other easier option would be a 13gbb engine which the gti’s had but this was the first model 1 year b4 the gti’s The 13gbb engine is also now a getting to be a ridiculous price to purchase. Much like the cb70/80 is.

with mating the mira move stuff up to the engine that would require some fabrication and working stuff out. I have a strange obsession on making things work with what I have or minimal purchases.

1 Like