Sirion Sport from Malta 🇲🇹

Hello everyone! I am the owner of a Daihatsu Sirion Sport (M300) from Malta. My Sirion has the 1.3 (K3-VE) engine paired to a manual transmission, in pearl white. For those interested, here’s the backstory about what got me into these little Japanese cars.

My love for Daihatsu first began with my dad’s charming third gen Charade, also in white. I was about 6 years old when he sold it, and I genuinely consider that to be the first heartbreak I experienced. I still remember him driving me to school everyday in ‘the Dulu’, as I affectionately nicknamed it.

The Charade was replaced with a brand new silver Sirion M300 that did not have any of the Sport trim styling, but still had the 1.3 engine and manual transmission. I was extremely excited to get another Daihatsu in the family, and eventually inherited this Sirion as my first car at 18 years old.

Although I drove it fast and hard as the young excited petrolhead I was, taking it on many adventures, it never broke down or gave me any trouble. I treated it to some bigger Momo alloy wheels and an OEM roof spoiler, which I spray painted and installed myself with the help of my best friend. Unfortunately, it was totaled in an accident when another young driver ignored her road signs and caused us to crash pretty badly. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt.

I got an old Opel Astra G after this, as I could not afford anything better at the time. Although I grew fond of this car, I eventually upgraded to the Daihatsu Sirion that I currently own. I feel that the Sport trim styling really helps the car to stand out from the rest of the basic and bland Japan-imported Toyota Passos that have flooded the second-hand market in Malta.

So far, in terms of light ‘mods’, I’ve changed the stock gear shift knob to a metallic red Mugen replica shift knob, added a steering wheel cover (with red stitching to match), some Daihatsu seatbelt covers and a red JDM-inspired tow strap. I’ve also upgraded the stereo and sound system. I am planning to black out the front and rear badges, possibly spray the wheels charcoal grey and possibly spray/wrap the roof black.

Eventually I wish to get some bigger, wider wheels and tyres as well as upgrade the suspension to something more firm to try decrease the body roll that plagues an otherwise fun-to-drive, nippy little car. Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

9 Likes