Supercharged Detomaso Powered Feroza/Jeep Build

So the story goes…
I have a Feroza that has been in my possession since 2008… It has been parked not running for at least 5 years…
when it was my daily back in the day
It was mod plated for a supercharger and had bad blow-by issues due to worn rings and a tired motor…
the rust and rattles started creeping in so was parked with the intent to repair promptly…
I purchased a 1.6L swapped g102 charade with the intention of driving it for a few weeks whilst I fixed the feroza… but then I fell in love with the chaRADical and the detomaso cylinder head and cam were soon robbed from the feroza… The charade build got out of control (to be detailed in another build thread)
and alas the poor feroza got forgotten.
it sat in a barn that slowly collapsed around it.
over $20k had been previously been poured into the forlorn feroza and none of that was on much needed bodywork.

This topic is the tale of the resurrection of the forgotton feroza… and the choices and changes of direction and outcomes on the journey of the complete restoration/rebuild/resurrection of a fun dream machine.

the story starts with some old photos from back in the day… then the neglect and decay… and after a bath to see what we are beginning with.
the REBUILD begins…

stay tuned and check back for updates…
I will try chronologically log images and tales until I catch up to present day progress

5 Likes

The clean up begins… found a bit of tin worm that I knew was there…it has just been waiting for one day with a welder…
if you wait for motivation it never comes…

3 Likes

Had a block hot tubbed at the engine builders that I planned on boring out and fitting Nissan pulsar turbo pistons to on custom made rods.

4 Likes

Awesome stuff Adam. Glad you decided to do a build thread. Looking forward to all the plans coming to fruition. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I ported and polished a cylinder head and lapped the valves but then the chaRADe blew up and once again the Feroza’s cylinder head was stolen from it…
I received a message from a guy that rally races wrx’s and used to race detomaso charades saying he had his teams spare detomaso charade engine still… and did I know anyone who might want it…
of course I knew just the person… me….
so I was pretty stoked to pick up a complete motor for the feroza, even more stoked that it was a DETOMASO…
I was stoked to see how clean it looked under the cap… I was a bit bummed to discover later that the oil pump had snapped off where the filter attaches and had hoped it had happened falling over or off something and not during a rally.

3 Likes

Such a cool project. Awesome stuff! I’ve been watching on the FB group, but it’s hard to find all of it after a few days.

3 Likes

the teardown had begun.
outer fenders and inner aprons removed
along with bullbar, bonnet, lights, grille and rad support panel,
bit of rust in the battery tray…
so it was cut off the apron and the worst rust section (most of it) cut out

2 Likes

I folded up a piece of sheet metal in the vice to become the new battery tray… welded it in and etch primed the inner apron.

2 Likes

I had been using a caustic soda lye tank to strip paint off panels and pieces… works incredibly well and the paint practically falls off…
taking everything to bare metal before starting the coating/painting process.

3 Likes

I needed the sump and oil pick up from the Feroza engine to make the Detomaso charade engine fit in a non east-west configuration… the feroza had had the cyclinder head off for at least 5 yrs… lovely soup in the sump… parts cleaned and prettified and onto the detomaso block… taped off inlets in preparation for an acid wash of the block.

3 Likes

And this is where the build begins a monumental shift in direction…
I am addicted to facebook marketplace and stumbled across this…
which got me thinking…

3 Likes

I continued daily to work on the Feroza, ordering new bushes and cleaning, finding old parts and tinkering… Rats had infested the glove box and thankfully the only piece of paper left unharmed was the modification approval paperwork…
I was excited about the rebirth if the Feroza…
but there was an imaginary vehicle parked in the back of my mind… haunting my thoughts

3 Likes

curiosity got the better of me and I went and took some measurements…
I got in contact with an engineer who seem to think there would be no issues getting the Feroza registered with the Jeep body, and the supercharger…
this had me pondering.
what if……

3 Likes

after Much pondering and further discussion with the engineer it seems I should be able to have 4 seats and appropriate roll over protection.
I continued work on the engine…
painting the valve cover,
mounting the lower supercharger brackets.
then the SC14 blower and upper brackets.
making everything clean and pretty along the way.

3 Likes