Welding the diff on a FWD

Hi guys,

just out of curiosity i wanted to know if you actually could weld a fwd diff and how this would be to drive.

Now i’ve done some research, not much info out there, most of the things i’ve found are guys who only track their car. Also these people seemed kinda amateuristic in their findings when comparing an open diff to a welded one compared to an lsd.

Now i know that this place is truly filled with very smart people who love to share their knowledge about cars. I am also interested in different opinions on the subject and most importantly (to me), durability. How long would this last? Would a welded diff end up putting more stress on the gearbox/engine/axles/cv-joints?
How is daily drivebility? It like to hear it all :smiley:

My gearbox will be rebuilt in the far future since its done ±240.000km and 3rd gear syncros are wearing out. An LSD will be put in probaply, but maybe just for fun or to save cost a welded diff is a solid option.

I’d say you’d find a power pole pretty quickly.
Steering would be severely compromised, even in an RWD its not an ideal setup.
Save your pennies for an LSD.

2 Likes

exactly, how bad would the steering feel?

You would have a car that likes to go in straight lines. It would fight you like buggery when you turn the steering and will be noisy as the drive shafts and CVs cry in pain. This is just on dirt. On bitumen it would be much worse. In muddy slop though it would be fine. My fwd lsd is setup at a fraction of the clutch torque of my rwd lsd, and both feel similarly agressive. On the road as a daily driver my preference is to have my viscous lsd in the fwd as the clutch type lsd is a race only item. As Rallyesport said “Save your pennies for an LSD” and get a good one. They are worth every cent (don’t cheap out with the Phantom ones as they just don’t work). I run either factory or Cusco.

1 Like