What engine variant is this

Hi guys.
I’m curious to know what engine this is?
It is a possible Frankenstein Engine being mixed with Australian motor and import parts.
The car says totally different motor
IMG_1279
The turbo has been modded and is a RHB31-vz21.
The manifold is a turbo mani, the intercooler and bits look right but I’m still suspicious as to it being a Jap motor.
The block says EF.
It looks to have been rebuilt but have no proof.
IMG_1209IMG_1277IMG_1276IMG_1275IMG_1278
Any help or direction would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.
PS: I also found a dyno sheet… looks slow to me. Is this normal?
IMG_1280

Was originally an 850 ED10 but has an EF-EL turbo. That’s about 45hp, and what I’d expect. EF head is the frist issue with the 650 piston’s dome being the second bottle neck and thirdly it’s tiny capacity means it has to be revved.

Mate once again your the best.
Damn. I wish they kept the 850.
It feels like a nugget tbh…
:confused:

was gonna say looks like a ef has been put in the ed body but @Mr_Gormsby beat me to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just had a second look at the pics and wow that is on about 18psi on the dyno but had to be clutched each time as it was leaning out due to the fuel pump flow so never got its full potential , oh I had the ej pistons in the ed10 block too and also that window washer bottle looks funny. Someone obviously broke the original one.

Did I miss something here?

um just the window washer bottle on the driver’s side is from a different car that’s all and normally boost cut for a genuine ef turbo is around 14 psi. Have you checked for an aftermarket ecu at all?

sory for the many replies but i keep finding things. on the intake that blue plug is a temp sensor. Australian ones on an ef/el never had that, but they are on move ed20 intakes.

Ah nice. Where did u see the boost?
I can’t see any real boost level above 6or so psi.
Maybe I’m reading it wrong…:thinking: Lol.
He did say it was an import halfcut.
And yes your right. It has a ems stinger ecu.

850 would feel more torquey and better to drive in most practical situations.

2 Likes

Jimmy, have another look. I think you have your graph lines mixed up. It’s just std boost of 6psi. The line that you see as 18psi is the kw on the left.

1 Like

I figured where I circled in blue would be the psi/ boost level.
Unless Im wrong and the bottom line is reading the boost level not the power run

1 Like

I was just typing pretty much that as your post popped up. haha

1 Like

Haha. Yeah I see how it all makes sense now. Yeah the boost is pretty low.
All the turbo and things on the motor are new now so I’m not sure how different is is but still… pretty flat.
I might keep this car and throw a 1L at it and make my own turbo setup.
A lot easier.
This turbo on it now has A/Rs smaller than my thumb.

if you wanna get rid of the turbo motor i’ll buy it. if not to far from brisbane. also should be more around 8psi of boost. if only seeing 6 you might have a leak or the wastegate is leaking pressure… or if you want more “power” just chuck the ed10 bottom end under the 12v head. N/A it’s a good upgrade and boosted on 8psi it feels like a little rocket and that combo is great for higher boost.

1 Like

I’ll let you know if I pull it out.
I’m keen to drop it and do the 1L but time.

2 Likes

I belive actually it’s the EF-JL, which was one of the highest output kei-car engines of the time at 64hp - I’ve done this exact same swap, into an L200 chassis. also the same engine that’s in Marty’s kei to the city mira

they are capable of ~100hp on the stock turbo or ~150hp with an RHF4 on the stock internals.
they a far far far better base to start with than the ED-10 pile of junk. rod/stroke and bore/stroke ratios of the EF engine are much more suited to producing power. my brother had an ED powered L2 at the time of me driving my EF converted one and the ED felt like a lathargic slug by comparison! if you want more 'nanas then bore it out and fit K3-VET pistons… I’m just in the process of finishing doing this now… and it’ll be a lot more fun than any modded ED or EJ converted L2 you’ll get your hands on

2 Likes

my current build :slight_smile:

1 Like

Google Photos

1 Like

Google Photos

2 Likes