WhiteKnight2

I thought there would be markings on the cam gear to indicate alignment?

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct and all timing alignment is how it should be according to the manual, but thereā€™s a guy at work who believes the cam lobe positions on cylinder one at tdc arenā€™t sitting in the right spot so itā€™s making me paranoid.

1 Like

So you have a pic of how the timing marks should line up at TDC?

My engine is in one piece ATM but I took some videos turning it over, might be able to find some frames that provide reference, but I think they were all taken from the chain side, so the exhaust can may be obscured

Yep, so on the cam gears youve got four indents, two on each gear. The ones being pointed at by the red arrows are the timing marks to indicate theyā€™re at the correct spot at tdc. Thereā€™s also a bit of white paint on them too.

1 Like

I donā€™t have any pics that show the gears from that side, unfortunately

1 Like

Thats okay, thanks for looking though mate :slight_smile:

Well, after 10 months the engine is back together and we started it today. Nice, quiet , smooth idle. So paranoid we couldnā€™t fix it ourselves but we suprised ourselves.

7 Likes

well done mate. I bet your wrapped!

Yeah, high fives were had.
Just have to refit the bumper at work tomorrow then I can bring it home. Then a bit more pain as have to replace all the CVā€™s, rack ends, tie rods, lower control arms, fit two front tyres and then get a wheel alignment.
Have some fibreglass eyelids from Nik aswell that I need to get painted white.
Iā€™d also love to get it on a dyno so they can set up the two stage boost controller to safe limits. One for daily boost and the other for ā€˜raceā€™. Itā€™s already had a fuel cut defender wired in when it was in Japan.
Only dissapointing thing is it came over with a normal Mira rear bumper for some reason, not the TRXX rear bumper itā€™s supposed to.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan to be honest. Pity about the bumper though. What a shame.
Edit: I went back up to look at the car again and I think it actually looks really good with the standard bumper.

It does look smooth but Iā€™m of the mindset of it it came with it factory then thatā€™s what it should have. Bad example is a HSV Clubsport with a plain commodore rear bumper.

In other news, it came home today. Nice smooth idle and just as quick through the gears. Just needs a good wash and polish.

3 Likes

Is your Mira still basically stock? Are you aiming for a certain boost level?

Also curious how you are enjoying the coilovers you posted pics of a while back?

Pretty much stock and donā€™t have a boost level in mind, just what ever is safe.
Yeah, the BCā€™s are pretty good, firm and tight.

1 Like

Were you able to get it on the Dyno? Curious what it made!