Wolff's L701V Cuore

Looking neat! And surely it will rev up to 8k…a few times😆

Lets aim higher lol :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Been doing some foraging lately, managed to find an L881K at the local junkyard, which ment stripping time.

I made a list a while ago, with parts I wanted to get for the build. First up was brakes… Even though the 234mm Sirion brakes are quite big already, I want to make sure its overkill especially with going up in power. The 246mm ones from the Copen also fit the wheel quite nicely. Fooled around in Photoshop a little to see what it would look like on the car after taking a picture with the wheel mounted on the spare hub.

ezgif.com-resize

I also wanted to adapt the K3 subframe, this for a few reasons. The subframe itself feels and looks a lot stiffer, but the main reason is that it is hard mounted to the chassis, unlike the OEM subframe fitted using rubber bushings. Being able to use the massive L880 Copen swaybar (23mm compared to the usual 19mm upgrade found on the Move L900)

When looking online I found out that the bolt patterns of the engine mounts are basically the same, but when I put the EJ onto the K3 subframe, only 2 of the 3 mounts lined up, with the mount on the front of the car being the culprit.

I have two options are. Option 1, designing a new bracket by using the one on mounted on the block, extending it ~6cm and having it remade from scratch. Option 2 being making a new mount on the subframe with the bushing ~6cm more towards the engine, both being decent solutions.

Also, when stripping down the Copen, we removed the steering rack as well, due to it being even quicker than a Sirion/YRV rack, with lock to lock of only 2.8 rotations. The steering angle seemed to be the same as the M101 next it, meaning the ratio itself is shorter.

1 Like

Last weekend I also went on a ringtrip, and I finally managed to get some pictures. The plan was to take the Subaru but due to an unforseen breakdown, I had to take the Cuore. I had one day to prep the car, so I refreshed the brake fluid with Motul RBF-660 and did a bolt check on all major components. Did an oil change with a Greddy filter (thanks to a good mate who had a few on stock) and went on the trip.

We (my dad, my mates and me) genuinely thought it was going to explode on the trip, but no one expected it to complete 5 full-send laps on the rings together with some fun drives through the hills.

We arrived on Friday, and decided to do a lap at the end of the TF session to see what it was all about. First lap I did was a 12:29, which wasn’t bad but it could be better. Next day we decided to pull out the rear set, subwoofer and other easily removable stuff to save weight.

After these safisticated “modifications” to the car, I managed to run a 11:53, which was a huge improvement. Also the average speed on the uphill went from 85 to 95 kmh, but there was more time to be won. At last I decided to also carefully yank out the headunit, glovebox and the passenger seat, saving another easy 125kg (including passenger)

The last two runs on sunday were fucking amazing. I did a 11:00.8 with a theoretical best of 10:45 (adding up all best sectors from these laps) .

Here’s the onboard footage of fastest lap of the weekend, hope you enjoy this slow ass footage. (Might be enjoyable when sped up 1.5x)

6 Likes

We might soon need a list what dai did what time on the ring :wink: I might do a lap this summer. Never been there.

3 Likes

That is a great Idea! Would love to see that.

1 Like

I sure as hell didn’t set a lap record. I was there the same weekend and did a comfortable 15 ish min lap :joy:

1 Like

Just remember that the Queen did a 10 min lap in a diesel Ford Transit…

We are never going to impress someone :joy:

1 Like

Yes but the Transit has a massive aero advantage over the Cuore

1 Like

Keep in mind that a Transit has functional torque making it go over 90kmh on the uphill. If I had decent tires and actual torque, like the Transit Sabine drove, a time in the low/sub 10’s would be a piece of cake considering I did a theoretical 10:45 on 10 year old dried out winters with an engine trying to shit itself every 2 weeks

1 Like

Kees succesfully died last week. It decided not to start anymore… I gave up after around 2 minutes of cranking and the battery dieing on me.

Little did I know, Kees’ fifth suicide attempt would be his last (trust me this car tried to kill itself way to many times but I’m not letting it die lol).

I decided to charge the battery and try again the next day. While angrily starting, I smacked the dash and saw the fuel indicator drop to below E, the fucker fooled me. Put some gas into it and it started up like a 2 stroke diesel sitting a field for over 50 years.

Ofcourse, me being a very smart person, decided this was the perfect time to drive it 2:30 hours one way to @Blyatsu’s birthday party. Also me fucking around on the party, I impulsively ordered a set of Nankang NS-2R Semislicks because I fucked the 10 y/o winter tires on the last ring trip.

On the way back, I met up with the previous owner of the car to pick up an original L700 bonnet scoop and show him how fucked the car is. He mentioned buying it back plenty times before I finally set home which was a 2 hour drive.

Finally back home I decided to open an old photoshop file and go back at it. I’ve designed a livery for Kees a long long time ago but I decided to finally photoshop it properly. I started out with @Blyatsu’s car as a base for the picture, but edited the lights, stickers, fitment and wheels. Even changed the plates for maximum legitness.

I really like the look of this and might be something I really consider doing in the near future.

7 Likes

that photoshop livery looks really good

2 Likes

Loving the livery! Could pass for something Daihatsu would’ve done themselves :slight_smile: Hope those NS2-R tires serve you well.

Sooooo, time for another update… Kees needed his yearly inspections and it had some issues, so it was time to fix them. The exhaust had at least 2 leaks, so I needed to get an exhaust. A local friend was selling his rotten L700 for dirt cheap, which had a almost new exhaust system, so I just bought the whole car to part it out and save many other L7’s.

The main objective this evening: beat the ever living fuck out of it, and fuck yea I did. First thing I did was drive back to the shop, and take off the exhaust I needed for Kees, after that, we fucking sent it.

So after gutting the car, selling parts to fellow L7 crackheads and enthousiast, I went back to fixing Kees getting it ready for inspections. Getting the exhaust on was a piece of cake, and while I was at it I cleaned the underside.

I sent out the car to inspections and surprisingly it passed emissions, but that’s where it kinda stopped…

• Brake difference on the rear (same as last year)
  • Headlights have no beam pattern (strange as it passed last year)
  • Licenseplate Lighting Failure
  • Dried out window wipers
  • Both right wheelbearings (something about a Nurburgring and steep curbs, combined with a maniac behind the wheel)
  • Power steering belt not hooked up

Luckely I still had the white parts car in the shop’s parking lot with a lot of used parts. I grabbed the whole rear axles and brake proportioning valve. Thats brake bias issue and a wheel bearing fixed. Grapped the front right knuckle of the white L7 as well fixing the front bearing as well. A while ago I gave a stock set of headlights to a friend of mine for a project, asked if I could borrow them for the inspection, so this was swapped out as well.

I did the last couple of things to it tonight, so I can drop it off tomorrow at the garage to have it inspected on wednesday, to say I’m nervous is an understatement.

6 Likes

Man I hate that feeling of getting past inspection especially on a re- inspection.

2 Likes

Can’t wait till I have a completely rebuild running gear ready to be bolted in. Saved the rear axle of the donor, grabbed 180mm rear drums and will be rebuilding the rear as well so that the complete underside of the car is fresh.

2 Likes

Soo… Kees failed inspections due to emmissions being off the charts. I knew the engine was royally fucked, so I asked @Blyatsu if he was up for some stupid shenanigans and we began to pull the engine.

Because I’m totally not a hoarder, I had to choose between two engines I had in the shop, and me picking the easiest route I picked the EJ-DE and not the spare EJ-VE.

Whilst @Blyatsu was transfering stuff from the old to the donor engine, I was prepping the car to recieve the new engine by mainly cleaning stuff and deleting stuff I’m not using any more.

I also had some parts come in from Japan recently which included a D-Sport rear muffler, so I installed that too whilst the exhaust was apart.

Browsing Facebook, I saw @KuetheMotorsport asking a question about a certain gearbox (524 Copen box) he had for parts, which had an OEM optional Copen LSD. He just needed the short ratio ring gear, which left him with an LSD leftover to sell (to me :p)

I’m really stoked on building the new trubo setup for Kees, with the built gearbox and Copen steering/brake compononents.

7 Likes

Long time no post, Kees has been on the back burner whilst I’m hoarding turbo parts.

I’ve bought a Garrett GT2554R with a ported wastegate and a T51R style compressor housing, it should spool a lot quicker than a Subaru TD04.

I’ve also started tinkering with 3D modelling and 3D scanning (using photogrammetry). Next up is scanning the engine bay, bonnet and bumper to design a turbo manifold that clears (hopefully) everything)

I’m genuinely thinking of documenting this build on YouTube with all other shenanigans going on in the shop with my friends’ cars as well…

7 Likes

dont forget to share the youtube links here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If there are videos being made, it will be in Dutch but it will include English subs lol

1 Like