Wolff's L701V Cuore

Hi there!

Long time reader, first time poster… I’m Rob, a 21 y/o dutchie with love for stupid 90s japanese shitboxes. After owning a L276LS for some time, I finally got the “perfect” L7 I’ve been looking for…

Meet my new little nugget :slight_smile:

This example started life out as an STi (Dutch base model), getting much love from previous owners including;

• TR Bumpers (F+R)
  • TR Wing with LED Brakelight
  • M100S Vented Brakes (236mm)
  • Coilovers
  • SARD Aluminium Radiator
  • Equal Lenght 3-2-1 Exhaust Manifold
  • A huge ass pod filter making all the right noises
  • Paint Matched Mirrors and Handles
  • Facelift Taillights
  • KBS Sports Wheels

I would

Not sure what I want to do it, since it is supposed to be my daily driver. My dad (who had multiple G100/G11 turbo’s) is pushing me towards a CB swap, which could be interesting. An EJ-DE+T build would be interesting, but then there’s the reliability factor which pushes me more towards a K3-VE2 or K3-VET.

Anyways, I should probably get my Legacy Turbo back on the road first, before I even touch this at all…

4 Likes

Welcome and awesome looking unit. Would like to see more pics.

1 Like

Welcome. Glad you have joined us. CB is a bit rare. You’d have to be quite sentimental or romantic to go that way. The pragmatic choice is the K3ve2. The racer in you (drag racer that is) will want the VET. For a road car the K3ve2 will be enough and have you up and driving more quickly than any other transplant. Spend the extra effort on Copen front brakes, a disc rear end and some good struts, rear dampers and stiffer rear springs (leave the front std). That’s my experience. Keep it off the road for the shortest time. Get it up and going as soon as you can.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, nice looking L701 :slight_smile: if you did go the turbo route on the EJ, you would need a standalone ecu tuned properly to make it reliable and would only end up with around the same power as a standard K3-VE2 or pushed up to a standard K3-VET. I am lucky enough to have driven an L700 that has been K3-VE2+turbo swapped and WOW is all i can say

1 Like

Plan is to have a fun little road nugget that I can take out to local “touges” and maybe do some autocross in. That’s why I like the low end torque a turbo gives, although that is the main thing breaks these gearboxes from what I’ve read.

Really interested in a disc rear end but haven’t found a lot of useful info about it yet. Do you maybe have some guides available?

2 Likes

I think you’ll find a na k3ve with a light flywheel will give you the low end immediate response, and be easier on boxes.

It’s been years now since I’ve done a Dai disc brake conversion. All the ones I did were on L200s, but the process should be similar. This is a little info somewhere in the “Not quite Track” thread. You would need either Daihatsu Appluase rear callipers, back plates and discs or some Mazda Mx5 callipers are the same casting but you’d have to check the MX5 disc for fitment/offset and make some backing plates. For the hand brake you can use the original cable but a couple of adapters need to be made on a lathe.

1 Like

I had forgotten about option of using the drum as hub/carrier for the disc. If using the Applause hub the inner bearing may need to be swapped to suit the stub axle.

2 Likes

Did a couple of things last weekend. Got my hands on a generic boss kit and installed it together with a Nardi Classic wheel I had laying around.

Totally changes the car and it gives even more go kart vibes right now! :slight_smile:

By request of @BoldEagle, I went out and took some better pictures of the car.

You can view all the pictures in HD in this Adobe Album

4 Likes

Tyvm they are some excellent shots and it is a good looking unit.

1 Like