This is the first forum I’ve ever used so forgive me if I do anything stupid
I’ve had my L200 a couple years now and have been doing bits and pieces overtime. With hundreds of photos of what’s been done to the car, I wanted to document the build here instead of in my notes/photos on my phone.
Going back to August 2017, I bought a rig of a charade for $250. Pretty sure it was a g203. Made in 97’, had a 1.5L engine and manual. It was pretty mint and I loved it. Probably my favourite car out of all that I’ve owned, surprisingly good acceleration and handled alright. Sold it in February 2018. Wish I kept it but oh well.
Always loved the idea of turboing the charade but never went further than that. Come August 2018 I was searching the Adelaide Daihatsu page and saw this turbo L200 that had been for sale. Looked ok. I organised to check it out and ended up buying it.
Got it home and pulled bits off to have a better look. Found a lot of things that needed addressing.
First thing, the front bar looked terrible. So I have it a quick rattle can and it looked 10x better, for the meantime.
Ordered some hectic plates
Bought a set of ROH Contessa rims. 12x5 all round, had to enlarge the centrebore, and I painted them in a (very loosely) colour matched paint…
Bought some go fast bits
I was loving the car, had been quite reliable and extremely fun. Always got heaps of thumbs up
First car show - All Japan Day 2019
Bought an original wheel from The Pickers Station. Good Malaysian seller to deal with.
The gearbox had been starting to make funny sounds. Nothing too bad, though.
I went overseas for a month, and had new engine mounts waiting for me when I arrived home. Pulled the motor at the same time as the rear main seal needed replacing
Engine back in with new mounts and new rear main seal
Fitted a rear wiper setup
Fitted central locking
By this point, the gearbox sounded like marbles in a tin can. With a bit of supercharger whine in gears 1,2 and 3 but it still worked. Figured it was time to replace it
U-Pull-It to the rescue. No engine crane required
Figured if I was pulling the motor again, I would order some other parts and drop the front subframe
While the motor was out, I gave it a good clean, and got a bit excited ‘test fitting’ those go fast hits I bought so long ago…
Found that the subframe brace that the rear engine mount bolts to had cracked at the welds. So I welded it up. Gave the subframe a little bit of paint where necessary, cleaned the rack and fitted new bushings and fitted new subframe bushings.
Got the engine, with freshly sealed ‘new’ box back in with the newly bushed subframe.
I’d always wanted AC in the car and managed to find a mira at the wreckers with all the parts. I fitted this all up to my mira at this time too.
Fitted a Walbro 255lph pump
Had the car towed to Oldskool Fab to see the legend fabricator Luke Brandon
After mocking stuff up, the dream of AC disappeared pretty quick haha
Spoke to John Verban and got flanges and gaskets to suit my EF head and GTti RHB5 turbo
Mocked up intercooler, charade throttle body adaptor and manifold made
Intercooler fitted with new front support, dump pipe started
Original battery bracket removed
Cooler pipes done and a old 1jz tt turbo intake pipe used… for the turbo intake pipe
Turbo oil feed made by Autohose in Mclaren Vale, if I was to do it again I would have said a 90° fitting and shorter length. But it works for now
Lots of painted parts, oil filter relocation, and some PHAT tyres from a neighbour to Luke’s shop
Got it running after this, unfortunately I can’t upload the first start video or first drive video (can see first start video on the livetodai Facebook page if you search my name) the current setup is:
45mm charade throttle body
295cc turbo starlet injectors
Turbosmart fpr800 (pinched from my soarer)
RHB5 Vq10 turbo from GTti charade
2.25” turboback exhaust
GFB G-Force II electronic boost controller
Runs 13psi and feels great. AFR is 15 on idle and 10 in boost - pretty rich. Still on stock EF-JL ecu. It’s ok for now, but I’ll look at a standalone down the track I think
Parked up at work
New rocker cover washers and nuts fitted. Also fitted a headlight reminder buzzer from a charade (thanks to an old post I found from Luke on the livetodai Facebook page)
Plastic welded the hole from a previous owners diy vent, and dropped the bar into a body shop for paint
While waiting for the bar, I polished the underside of the bonnet (something I’ve wanted to do since buying the car) pressure washed the wheel wells and tidied up wiring under the fenders
Got the bar back and super happy with it
Added some reflective heat mat behind the bumper repair, and in front of the turbo
Made up a turbo heat shield
Bumper on (Daihatsu badge from a charade fitted )
Cowl panel polished and fitted with new clips (all old clips were either missing or broken and I’m surprised I still have the trims)
And that’s all caught up on my mira so far