660TRBO - Daily driven L2 turbo

Thanks everyone for the responses!

One thing I love about the mira is how much it revs. So I have always gone away from the idea of an EJ bottom end. I have read they are not well balanced from factory and don’t like much more than 6000rpm? An EJ block with my EF head is definitely a possibility though. I have thought about it a lot. I would want a turbo upgrade if I did that.

I have toyed with the idea of fitting an EJ head to my block. I like the design of the EJ cylinder head - it would rev and flow better than my EF head, which would be nice when I want to turn up the boost. I’m yet to play with wrecker motors to see how well/if it would work. I know there is the obvious oil drain in the EJ head that my EF block doesn’t have, but I could sort this by having it welded up, then drill and tap and do a head drain similar to what people do on Nissan RB engines.
I would need to modify an EJ loom to suit, make new manifolds, and a stand-alone ecu would be pretty necessary at that time too :joy: Lots to think about…

1 Like

Ejde will rev 7500rpm all day on a std bottom end and will have big torque. 660ef has to rev to make any power and woeful torque. Early ejde did not have the drain. I have a block here from one and a member now has the head. Torque for a road or race car power for drag cars or boasting rights

2 Likes

don’t forget that the EJ revs are set byy the manufacturer, they have to provide warranties etc, when i wacked a turbo on mine without changing anything else it’d go up to about 7K no hassles but the ecu would fight it, torque is what you want honestly to get off the line

2 Likes

I think you will find an ejde head will not go on an ef engine as the ef’s (with the exception of one I have seen) have domed pistons and the ejde’s and the ed’s have dished.

2 Likes

Not much has happened since my last post as I have been focusing on finishing my soarer.

Swapped the injectors back to standard items from the 4efte ones that were in there. Runs heaps better, still rich though.

Attended a few cars and coffee events and managed to get some snaps

Bought 99% of the parts to do a 4x100 swap with a jackshaft from a Facebook livetodai member

Unfortunately got defected this morning on my way to work.

Front eyebrow height 45mm too low, front track 29mm too wide, and for my fuel pressure regulator being an adjustable boost controller lol. I think the car will sit for a while, as I’m needing to finish off my soarer and then have a xm Falcon to get on the road too.
Shouldn’t be too hard to get the mira back on the road. But I’ll need to talk to an engineer and change a number of things, which I just don’t have the time or money for with everything else happening at the moment.

Hopefully have the odd update here and there

7 Likes

Gotta watch out for all that boost coming from your fuel pump :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow, i’m amazed you got defected, it doesn’t look low at all and front track is abit sad, those wheels are very tame, i’m guessing the officer couldn’t get you for any real defects. :frowning:

Not sure what you mean by “eyebrow height”?

Bump clearance, Mr G :grin:

Yeah I didn’t think I’d get looked at in this. I’ve been driving it hassle free for over two years.

There’s quite a bit of stuff I guess. Catch can isn’t plumbed back, bigger turbo than standard let alone a turbo engine, lowest part of the car measures 75mm - need to have 100mm minimum, one of the seatbelts is frayed, boost controller, exhaust too loud etc.

All things I’ll need to sort out before it’s back on the road

1 Like

Plan for the car:

• EJ swap
• 4x100 conversion with facelift sirion brakes
• Stock sirion wheels
• Stock springs

I believe this will be my cheapest way to clear the defect. I have some forms to fill out, but hopefully this setup will be approved by DPTI and I won’t need to see an engineer.

Once the defect is off, I’ll definitely enjoy it as is for a little while before thinking about modifying anything. Not sure if I’ll go back to the EF turbo setup or look at turbocharging the EJ - long term thoughts.

I’m going to buy the EJ this Saturday, along with the ECU and engine harness. It’s from a cuore, has about 130,000kms, and looks like it’s been the only EJ ever to have proper servicing done!

More updates soon :sunglasses:

4 Likes

turbo the EJ if anything, bbut for best results will need a standalone ecu.

2 Likes

Plans have changed a bit, again.

I decided against the EJ swap. Speaking with a couple mates and one asked why I couldn’t just put na manifolds on this engine to clear the defect (EF-JL motor, I’ve never had the parts to have it NA) I don’t know why I never considered this. Maybe it seemed a bit dodgy in my head.

So new plan.
I figure the EF-JL is pretty well the same as the EF-EL, except lower compression. I also figure the EF-JL ecu would be similar to the EF-EL version, except when it sees positive pressure it adds more fuel. So going to see how it goes putting all na gear on it.

I don’t know if it will actually drive ok like this, but I figure if it drives well enough to go to the vehicle inspection station and back (less than 15 mins from my house) then this will be my cheapest option to clear the defect.

I’ve been collecting parts for some time now (I can’t believe how hard it’s been to find stock parts!) and I only have a few bits left to get, which I think I’ve got lined up.

I’ve gone over the car and removed almost everything needed to get it back to a stock mira.

That’s where I’m at now. Bit of a small and boring update. Hopefully have more to show soon

5 Likes

SA can be savage when it comes to defects. Let us know how you go with clearing them!

1 Like

Will update properly soon, but the car is almost ready for inspection to clear the defect.

Can anyone help in how the vacuum system is meant to be plumbed on an EF-EL? I have searched so much and cannot find much info. I’ll attach photos of what I’m unsure of… any help is highly appreciated.

Additionally, there is one small port on the airbox too.

Thanks all

I can probably provide photos of my L200S before I started removing it, should help with your vac like routing, I can upload them later tonight after work.

1 Like

That would be extremely helpful! Thanks @turbolover

Here is an album, let me know if this helps, it’s a turbo EF-EL motor not sure if that is an issue for you being NA:

1 Like

Thanks for those @turbolover. Vacuum system is sorted.

I finished off the new radiator and got that in the car. Old radiator had a leak, so I modified a civic half rad, made a new shroud and fitted a 12” Aeroflow fan.

Third brake light had stopped working and the housing had faded to pink. I made the housing red again by giving it a few coats with nightshade paint, and fitted a new LED strip into the housing.

Also removed the dash to remove the AC unit completely, and to tidy up some wiring from before my ownership.

I need to order a new drivers seatbelt, figure out why the high beams are no longer working and run the car properly to bleed the cooling system. Then we should be sweet to try clear the defect.

If anyone has any ideas on what to look for in regards to the high beams, please throw some suggestions here. Parkers and low beams work, indicators work, the high beam symbol even appears on the dash. Currently I have only tried a different stalk which made no difference.

Also I am lacking at uploading photos of stuff with each post (probably because it’s not very fun work I’m doing) but I’ll get some photos of everything soon.

All I’ve got for now

2 Likes

1st check globes, then check wire with a multimeter in a few places up the loom