Applesauce / Cheer 3.0

The auto dash won’t be going in. Managed to (properly) fix the ground problem that’s caused the track mat burning out.

The bolt holding the grounding wire down wasn’t put back in properly at all by the look of it. Even old mate who I bought it off said it was fixed. Threw an extra washer in to make the contact need to ground properly.

Now to fix the burn out on the track mat again

to get around that track problem just tap a wire to the screw on back of dash and then tap into dash plug wire and use a connector so you can remove dash like normal.

Recently had a hiccup with the rear drivers window winder. Somehow the cables (yes not actuator) crossed paths and became tangled. The winder mechanism was making a grinding sound as if the cogs had disintegrated. Pulled it out and found the wire cables has become dislodged and tangled.

Looked into tension figures for fixing it without much luck. Asked around crackbook but no good either. My 1908-1993 Gregorys Chazza and Daihatsu Applause manuals were no good either. I left it with my Dad for a week or so and he managed to put it all back together.

Winder and vertical rails

Winder close up

Remounting the vertical section to the glass brackets

Where my Dads hand is located is a much easier way of recounting it instead of trying to do this than at the top as originally hoped

Mounting the vertical bar back onto the door

The three nuts are where the the winder mechanism goes back into the inside of the door

For now she’s all good once again

Til the next hiccup :grinning:

if you ever need to change dash clusters instead of winding things forward or back what i did on dads starler cluster was use a soldering iron to met the tiny plastic bit holding the numbers for the odometer reading removed it out the one side and put his one onto new cluster

Went to my Dads this morning after project: new stereo and speakers had a cock up a few weeks back with the 6.5s not fitting in the front doors without seriously modifying the door trims ruining the stock look I’m working on.

Alas that portion of the build is complete.

Kenwood KDC-BT720DAB head unit. If you are skeptical on digital radio wait til you hear the signal quality. No good if you live rural as well but the stations available so far is a bit average but that will change no doubt.

In the doors had to settle for some much smaller KFC-S1056 4 inch 2 ways. Much smaller than the 6.5s I originally snapped up and much different sound quality but a major improvement over the crappy paper comes fitted by our friends at Daihatsu some 25 years ago.

Up the back on the parcel shelf a pair of KENWOOD KFC-X694 6x9 3 ways. The metal strength brackets along the rear panel shelf proved fun as the gap is about 5.75 inches and took a few goes with the jigsaw to fit. It’s a bit ordinary but happy enough to keep it going. Even with the rear speakers going for a few weeks, the sound was heaps better again.

Pics will be around at some point I guess shrugs

Next up (eventually / broken record ) will be shocks and struts to fix the body roll and replace the well worn rears that sag worse than an old mans nutsack

The 6.5s I bought are up for grabs. They are KENWOOD KFC-X174 6.5 inch 3 ways. Paid $140 for them retail for something around the $200 mark. They are unfitted and new condition. Will come with the head unit I pulled out of the car unless unwanted.

Apart from that not much to report on, just over 229Kkms on clock now

Rear sag means new springs. Go stiff in the back and relatively soft in the front.

I did have 30 or 50mm lowered king springs in my first two Applauses. Fixed it up the ride rather nicely and felt basically new again. Less body roll in corners, heaps better take off feel, less sag with passengers in the back. Looking forward to getting it done (eventually).

Did a stocktake of spare parts lying around in preparation to move house recently.

Might be selling the old girl sadly.