Blyatsu 2 - The Ultimate Daihatsu (L701)

yeh it be for an L200 and I have a spare L200 column so I can paly around with it all. (no hurry atm) Years ago I attempted to install an applause power steering rack into an l200. I got all the fab done to physically install it and when I finally did It threw the whole steering column out to the left so muck I would have to shift the whole column over etc. I decided to call it a learning experience and scrapped the idea. haha

2 Likes

Thinking back to when I owned the Copen, I believe to remember that the turning radius (although we mostly measure curb to curb here) wasn’t as good as the Cuore’s. I looked up the numbers and it’s 9,2m for the Copen vs 8,6m for the Cuore. On top of that, the Copen’s wheelbase is 120mm(!) shorter, which should decrease the turning radius, but doesn’t.

I think that the Copen’s steering rack does in fact have the same (or similar) ratio as an M1/M2 rack, but that it’s simply limited to 2.9 turns. That would explain why the turning radius isn’t is slightly worse than the Cuore’s, even though they share a fair amount of suspension bits.

EDIT:
There are various numbers for the Cuore’s turning circle, but almost all of them are still less than 9,2m

2 Likes

LIL’ UPDATEROO

I’ve driven the 3SZ powered Blyatsu for about a month now, and nothing much has changed. The car still drives very good, and the to-do-list is still there (though slowly getting shorter). However, that CEL caused by the CAN system not detecting anything turned out to be much more of a problem than I initially anticipated :frowning_face:. For those of you that didn’t read my “WARNING LIGHTS” bit in the questions-section, here’s a summary:

I was visiting some friends, which was about 90km away, and when I was making my way downtown
walking fast, faces pass and I’m homebound
- no wait
When I was driving home, the engine suddenly lost power. It wouldn’t rev any higher than idle speed, and I had to pull over twice because of this. As it turns out, the ECU needs a speed signal, or else the fuel is cut off. This signal should come from the ABS ECU, using the CAN system. I’ve tried swapping the old ABS unit with the new one (with CAN communication), but no luck so far. Luckily I don’t have to drive all that much and all that far, but I’m not comfortable anymore driving longer distances on the highway. I really hope I can sort this out soon, because I just want to drive the car without having to worry about it breaking down or anything.

I believe the main issue is that the ABS ECU simply doesn’t connect with the ECU. I keep getting a fault code (U0001) saying the CAN system doesn’t detect anything, even though it is wired up with the ABS module.

The canbus wires actually go to the gauge cluster first, before going to the ECU. But looking at this diagram, it seems like the signal is split into two directions, which means the gauge cluster could be left out, I reckon.

I still have 1 or 2 ideas I’d like to try, but I’m starting to run out of options unfortunately :confused:. I’m not really planning on having to mess around with ECU’s and stuff, so I just hope I can make it work as it is.

1 Like

My worst nightmare is trying to figure out what’s wrong with a ECU or anything along those lines. Might sound like a silly suggestion but seeing as I believe you may have removed the ABS wiring loom from the donor car to fit into the Cuore, did you check all the cables are fully intact, are all the connections and pins clean and fully seated? Are you maybe picking up interference on the CAN wires.

Just the other day I had to fix an Ethernet cable that someone had rejoined by twisting the wires together and it wouldn’t work until I soldered the wires and then it worked fine, maybe you might have similar problem somewhere with too much resistance within a connection or wire causing problems?

Yeah I will check if everything is intact. I did solder the wires, and pretty tidy as well (I think). Apart from figuring out what wire goes where, wiring is not my strongest point, which makes it even more frustrating having to deal with such a complex system. I’m going to do a bit of research on canbus, and see if there are certain things that require special attention (like interference for example). Unfortunately I’m very limited in tools and knowledge, so it’s going to be tough figuring out what’s the solution for this.

GOODBYE BLYATSU… FOR NOW

To get straight to the point: no, I’m not getting rid of the already legendary Blyatsu 2. However, I am going to put it away for a while, but for a good reason. As you would’ve read earlier, I have that ECU issue where the CAN system doesn’t work properly/at all. And even though that’s probably the biggest item on my to-do-list, it’s not the only thing on the list. Wouldn’t be a projectcar if it was, would it? No, the list consists of quite a lot of items.

The problem is that, even though the tasks themselves aren’t that challenging, most of the task require taking the car apart (partially). This means I’d have to go to my garage, take the car apart, fix a minor issue, put the car back together, and go back home. This is a very inefficient use of time, so I decided to just put the car in my garage, so I can take it apart once, and then cover all items on the list.

This created a new problem though, because with the car in the garage, I wouldn’t have anything to drive. And since I didn’t want to ‘borrow my way through winter’, I decided to take a different approach. A friend of mine was planning to ‘K-swap’ his L7, but the timing wasn’t right. However, this created an opportunity! I offered him to buy a car together with me, which would serve as my ‘winter beater’, which he could then use it as a donor vehicle for his swap! And so…

Say hello to Daihatsu #5: a Sirion 1.3 M1! It set us back €700, and for that money we got… exactly what €700 of car can offer.

To be honest, it’s a bit of a shitbox, but that’s okay! In the end, it’s the inside that matters, right? Having said that, the drivetrain does actually need a bit of TLC. I don’t know if it’s a Dutch thing or something that happens all around the world, but over here people often seem to buy/have bought these cars thinking "Oh that’s great! A cheap car that is also reliable. It doesn’t require that much maintenance ". And no maybe that’s not exactly the way things go, but I know plenty of people who only take their car to a garage when something’s wrong, or go like “yeah I just put in a bit of oil every now and then, and then it’s good to go!”. Not everyone is into cars or understands cars the way we do, I totally get it, but it’s a shame to see how some cars’ lives come to an end prematurely, just because it wasn’t serviced regularly/properly.

Alright, end of rant. What I wanted to say, was that it’s in need of a good service and wrenching. The thermostat is broken, I don’t want to know how long the oil has been in there, all pedals feel weird, and the engine feels a bit lazy sometimes. All parts should be here within a few days, so hopefully I can get to wrenching soon!

I don’t think I’ll be posting a lot (or any) of updates for a few months, but we’ll see. Until next time :slight_smile:

(Also: 100th post :partying_face:)

8 Likes

seems to be a worldwide thing with the lack of maintenance on most Dai’s :frowning:

4 Likes

yesss, come to the M1XX Chassis Side…

100% a universal thing of the large % of people buying them for commuting not fully looking after them to the degree they should.

2 Likes

Typical of something produced 1998-2004.

1 Like

Hahahahah I figured you’d like my new daily ;p. I’ve always wanted to own one just for the sake of it, and on top of that, I think that this would be the best chassis to put a bit of power under the bonnet (rather than to just throw a K3VET in an L7. THERE. I SAID IT). However, I’m not completely blown away by the car (yet). Since I love all Dai’s, I can be fairly objective about this. It seems to have an even worse seating position than the L7, which I think is weird considering that there is (in theory) more ‘room to play with’. Also, I don’t get as much of a ‘yay’-feeling I get from a stock L7. Maybe this engine isn’t what it used to be anymore, but there’s a certain lack of enthusiasm (maybe it’s the EJ’s rumble?). Having said that, I am quite impressed with the stock suspension. The damping in the rear can be a bit harsh sometimes, but overall I’m pretty pleased with the way it covers bumps. Certainly a lot better than our Hyundai i20 :woozy_face:.

Enjoy the review you didn’t ask for :joy:

@Mr_Gormsby boy am I lucky to have only owned cars produced between 2000 and 2004 so far :woozy_face:

9 Likes

UPDATE ON TOM AND THE BLYATSU

Tom turned out to be more of a troublemaker than I initially thought he would be. They day we did a service, was also the day I almost sent Tom into a ditch. The FR tire wasn’t very good at the ‘keeping air inside’ part, so when I drove to a shop nearby with two friends in the car, it didn’t really want to turn when I wanted to throw it into a corner. “Understeer” is almost an understatement. The way the car didn’t respond to steering input was ridiculous (and dangerous). So, I took off the wheels and replaced them with the steelies that were fitted to my YRV donor.

The old steelies had 165/60/R14 tires, which was slightly smaller than standard, and looked a bit weird in my opinion. Now it’s running on 165/65/R14 tires, and I ditched the Toyota hubcaps as well. Now it looks like a Sirion to me.

With temperatures starting to drop quite rapidly, I was in a bit of a hurry to fix the cooling issue. As I said before, the thermostat was broken. In retrospect, I’m not even sure if that was even true or not, because replacing it with a new one didn’t help. The car still didn’t get up to temperature, and it took some time to figure it out.

I thought that maybe it was struggling with the cold weather, and was simply cooled down too much by the wind, so I went full engineer.

Long story short: the car came up to temp slightly quicker, but it didn’t solve the issue.

In the end, it was running cold because the hoses connecting the radiator to the engine were fitted the wrong way.

It’s a shame it took so much time and effort to sort out, but at least it’s fixed now.

BLYATSU

To be honest, I didn’t get very far since I put it in the garage. I mostly took out a lot of parts, like everything under the hood except the drivetrain, nearly everything on the rear hatch, and the entire dashboard.

Looking rather sad

I can think of 4 excuses why I didn’t make a lot of progress, the main one being that I had to fix Tom first. The second one is me being a bit lazy, the third one is money (or rather the lack of money), and the fourth one being the weather. It it ridiculously cold inside the garage, which is a bit demotivating. I should be able to make a bit more progress in the next few weeks, so I’m hoping to start making some drawings for a few bits I want to fabricate (like a decently placed air filter box).

Wish me luck!

7 Likes

Really loving your writeup on your build. Been enjoying it a great deal. Will be looking forward to your future Posts.

1 Like

ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END

(get ready for some reading, we got a loooot of catching up to do)

I wanted to start my story with “it’s been a while”, but I feel like I’ve said that more than once, so I won’t. However, looking at my last post, it does feel like it’s been quite a while since my last post, considering all the things that have happened in the mean time. Not too long after my last post, I got the 'Ronies and had to stay at home for a week. I feel like the timing couldn’t have been better, because I didn’t have anywhere to go the following week, and needed to finish some school assignments. Unfortunately this also meant I couldn’t work on the car, but I still got some preparation work done.

CANBUS OR CAN’TBUS
Ah yes, canbus. My greatest nemesis. Almost 2022, but still no luck on that front. A few days before I got sick, I visited a tuning company for an internship which would start in February. I really wanted to be able to focus on the project I’d be working on, which meant I had a bit more than a month to get the car back on the road. The to-do list went out the window, and the main goal was to just get it working properly. Which was easier said than done. I made a whole topic about canbus, so for more details, you can go over there and have a read.

By learning a bit more about canbus, I wanted to see if I got the basics right, starting with the resistors. In an earlier post, I said this:

Guess what? I was wrong. As it turns out, the gauge cluster contains the other resistor.
I watched a few video’s about the whole canbus principle, and figured that I should try and fit a resistor on the other end of the canbus, near de ABS module. The reason why I placed it there, is because I read that the main bus itself can be quite long, but the nodes (“add-ons”, like ABS, or an A/T ECU) can’t. Short explanation: this is because the nodes don’t have a resistor, which means that signals can interfere with each other when the node is too long. So, when the resistor is placed near the ABS module, the node is pretty short.

I was lucky to get a few resistors from a shop in town, because the day after, our country went into lockdown :upside_down_face:. It took some time for me to find some motivation, but eventually I MacGyver-ed something up.

It ain’t much but it’s honest work

Resistance was looking good

For everyone who isn’t that great with electronic stuff (like me): the total resistance for a parallel scheme is:
1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 … 1/Rn (the ‘n’ meaning as many numbers as you’d like). 2 resistors of 120 Ohms means the total resistance should be around 60, becaus:

1/Rtotal = 1/120 + 1/120
1/Rtotal = 2/120
1/Rtotal = 1/60
(getting Rtotal means deviding 1 by 1/Rtotal)
Rtotal = 60

With only 1 resistor, the answer would be 120.
Not necessary for the story, but useful knowledge for understanding why we’re looking for 60 Ohms.

I turned the key and… nothing.

HEY GOOGLE, PLAY ‘TIME IS RUNNING OUT’ BY MUSE
As time was running out, I was starting to get desperate. Time for my last resort: getting a Sirion 2 gauge cluster. I say “last resort”, because there was nothing else (I could think of) left to try. In preparation of my junkyard trip, I dove back into the manuals, and found this:

It took me several times to read the sentence without having a stroke, but this made me believe that the gauge cluster plays a pretty vital role in the whole canbus system.

Shoutout to my friend

We went to the junkyard, and I took apart the entire dash of a Sirion 2 to get to the wiring loom. Luckily for me, someone else already took apart about half of it, so it didn’t take very long for me to get there. I took out all the canbus wires to make sure nothing could go wrong with the physical circuit. I hadn’t seen my friend in quite a long time, so it was nice to do some wrenching (read: shouting and swearing at cars while violently taking them apart) together again. Combined with some dry weather and the fact that stripping the car went fairly easy, put me in a good mood. It was just what I needed, and some motivation came back.

HEY GOOGLE, PLAY ‘FRIDAY I’M IN LOVE’ BY THE CURE
Yes, I’m doing a song title reference theme thingy now.

It’s been a long week. “Exhausting” would be an understatement I think :joy:

“Monday you can fall apart”
Monday was all about gathering as much information as possible from the manuals, from various different models

“Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart”
Tuesday was junkyard day, Wednesday I went to see my sister, whom I also hadn’t seen for a while

“Oh, Thursday doesn’t even start”
This should actually say “the car doesn’t even start”, because I forgot to connect the immobilizer :upside_down_face:

“It’s Friday, I’m in love”
The last full day to work on the car. We’ll go back to Thursday, when I installed the gauge cluster

HEY GOOGLE, PLAY ‘TiK ToK’ BY KE$HA

2 days left, no pressure. As someone with ASD (autism spectrum disorder), I like to have things organised and clear, but I also have a very messy side. Sometimes the messy side wins, and this shit happens:

The picture doesn’t even do any justice to the mess that was in my car. It gave me so much stress, it was almost unbearable.

All I needed to connect was a power source, ground, ignition and ECU-T (for diagnoses), but figuring out what wires to use and not wanting to be disappointed again, resulted in some serious procrastination. But, eventually I got it all wired up, resistance was looking good, so it was time to turn the key to ignition. The gauge cluster came to life, but it didn’t seem to do have any influence on the canbus. It grabbed my manual and went back to the “METER” chapter:

Before the ECU and gauge cluster can communicate, there’s a procedure you need to go through to “pair” both computers

I did everything on the list, but I couldn’t get it to work, so I called it a day and went back home. One thing I couldn’t work out, was step 4 - 6. On the gauge cluster, there’s one press-stick thingy for the clock, and one to set the trip meter, but no ON/OFF switch. I talked to @Roffelkut about this, and he suggested that “ON/OFF” is just a funny translation of “PRESS/DEPRESS”. That means you have to press and hold the switch while turning the key. So the next day, I did just that, and it worked! I followed the rest of the procedure and…

I got a beeping gauge cluster, and got 2 zero’s, meaning that both the ECU and the ABS module were recognized. Yay!!

Time to fire up the engine and see if it had worked!

This might not look like anything interesting, but it certainly is, my friends.

Do you see the number “31” ? That is the vehicle speed, which used to be at zero at all times. So what does that mean?
Well, it meant that I was having a well deserved beer that evening, because having no speed signal was what triggered the fuel cut I was dealing with. So it’s fixed now, right? Well, yes, but also no. I still get the same weird fault code from the canbus, but everything in the system seems to work fine, so I have no idea why it keeps popping up. Does it matter? I don’t think it does, but I’ll keep an eye on it the next couple of km’s.

HEY GOOGLE, PLAY “TIME TO SAY GOODBYE” BY ANDREA BOCELLI AND SARAH BRIGHTMAN

So, happy days, the Blyatsu was fixed, just in time. But in time for what? Well, I’m not getting rid of the Blyatsu, but getting it back on the road meant I had to get rid of my other Dai: Tom, the Sirion. Tom was always meant to be my winterbeater, to be then taken apart for parts to swap Tom’s L7 (it’s confusing naming a car after it’s co-owner isn’t it). Having just over a week to take the car apart and send it to the wreckers, we needed to take out the subframe on Saturday, so we got to work. I needed to make the Blyatsu actually drivable first, so we got to work a bit later than initially planned. I know it’s been a long read, so if you made it this far, you deserve some pictures to look at.

Don’t feel bad for Tom, he wouldn’t have made it through another MOT

Tom and me, proud owners of Tom

Zoom for surprise

HEY GOOGLE, PLAY “THE END” BY THE DOORS

15 hours after arriving at my garage, I got the Blyatsu (mostly) up and running, and we stripped most of Tom’s bits.

It’s a 20 min drive to my house, but it was very memorable. Apart from a quick test drive, this was the first time in almost 3 months that I drove my car, and I just kept thinking “oh my god this car is so good”. I was actually shocked by how good it was. Sure it’s still bumpy in the back because there’s hardly any weight on the rear axle, but apart from that, it drove really well. And boy is it quick! I don’t remember it being so quick, nay, fast. I tried to do a first gear pull, but bailed out because I was too scared (well that, and stuff was flying through the car which was a problem).

We’re not there yet, but the worst part is over. I need to get Tom’s shell to the wreckers ASAP, and just see how things go from there.
That was quite a read, huh? Thanks for taking the time, and I hope you enjoyed it or learned something!

10 Likes

Man, you’re really going above and beyond on these write-ups! Awesome to see the Blyatsu back alive, I hope there won’t be any other hiccups. I guess now the next thing on the list is buttoning up and finally enjoying the car?

2 Likes

Fantastic write up, but an even better effort in getting things going. Wow

1 Like

What a brilliant write up, i always enjoy reading your write ups!:grinning: i’m glad you got that main problem fixed, it took some serious thinking to do and working out but i guess it took even more motivation. Though reading your last paragraph, when you finally take it for a drive and it just works and works really well then all the struggling was well worth the effort! Enjoy your beast now :grinning:

2 Likes

LESGOOOOOO, congratulations Daniel! hope I’ll see the Blyatsu on some events next summer!

1 Like

Thanks for all the kind words!

The plan for now is to sort out the final bits (mostly wiring and interior bits), and see how to make ik look as OEM as possible. Then I’m going to see if I can get it registered as a 4-cyl!

2 Likes

It’s been done before. As long as you swap the suspension as well as the braking system, there shouldn’t be a problem. I even know of a garage in Utrecht who would certify it, for a price, even if not done correctly

1 Like

Can you send me a DM with the details? I’d like to look into that! I’m pretty confident that all the mechanical bits are in order, it’s just the small things I’m worried about (like an awkwardly placed airfilter box) :joy: