Sirion K3 running cold

@evilhighway yes I am aware indeed! It seems to do well on oil, but I’m going to change the oil soon (within a few days) and keep an eye on it from that moment on just to be sure. This engine might suffer from a noisy chain as well, as it also rattles a bit when cold. However, if we’re talking tractor sounds, you should’ve heard the YRV I used as a donor for the Blyatsu. I still have to remove the head, but I think there was something wrong with one (or more) of the cylinders because it actually sounded lik a 1-pot :joy:. It did seem to run on all 4, so I’d like to find out what was wrong with it.

@Butch_Butcher 70°C is what the scanner read out when the needle was below the middle of the gauge (with ‘the middle’ being 80/90°C). I didn’t feel how warm the heater was, so that’s something I could try first.

When I was bleeding the system, you could tell the thermostat opened up when there were a few big bubbles coming out of the funnel. At that moment, the scanner was reading 80°C, which is what the thermostat should open at. I think that tells me that the thermostat is fine, and that the sensor still works like it should! I’ll probably do a coolant flush in the future, just to be safe.

And yes, Daihatsu’s are hydroscopic, I am aware of that. All my Daihatsu’s had rust issues :sweat_smile:. However, this car would’ve been driven through winter anyway, and then sent to the wreckers afterwards. This way, all the good parts will be reused in other Daihatsu’s, and I don’t have to drive the Blyatsu in the winter. I think that’s the most we can get out of this car :slight_smile:.

Here’s a bit more about how I got the car

6 Likes