Butchered replacement MOVEs diary

I’ve finally gotten around to pulling the head, last Friday.
The combustion chamber directly beneath the camshaft’s problem area, pictured far left, is darker than the remaining chambers. Whether purely coincidental or not will need to be determined, through a leakage test, using gasoline to fill this chamber.
Circled is where one of the head bolts was exposed to exhaust gas, to the point where it was partly burned down. I had set my torque wrench at increments each increasing 10 nm, until the bolt started to break loose. It did so at 90 nm. Tightening torque is suggested at around 56 nm. If the bolt would have broken, that would have set me back somewhat

Given that the sun is now at a lower angle, approaching Winter, I needed to turn the head accordingly, so as to get a better snapshot. In the following, the exhaust valve appears to be pitted. Whether or not the carbon accumulation is pitted or the valve itself is will be determined, later on this morning

1 Like

In the mean time, the scoring on the intake side of these cylinder walls point to deliberate debris-introduction. An attempt to photograph the exhaust side failed, because the flash didn’t actuate. This would not have been possible with an analog camera, given that these do what you expect them to do. I’ll have to wait until the test cylinder head is removed

2 Likes

Since my digital camera prefers brighter spots, I’ve given it a go at nighttime filming.
Early this spring, the automatic gearbox was cleansed and remained that way, until the head gasket started to leak.
Given that this bellhousing’s entire bolt pattern isn’t being used by this engine, this hints on this gearbox’s alterior application on other engine types. Perhaps, used on other automobile brands. Does anybody, therefore, recognize this bolt patter to coincide with a different engine type?

The yellow arrow points to a definitely available mounting hole.
The hole pointed at by the lavender-coloured arrow appears to be a lining-up provision, intended to house a dowel pin, given that its outter surface doesen’t provide enough area for accomodating a 17 mm hexagon bolt. It’s doubtfull that an allen bolt would be used. But, there’s always that possibility, if another automobile manufacturer were to mount this gearbox, solely using allen bolts.
The bolts pointed at by the blue-coloured arrows hints on the possibility that changing the removable bellhousing would make the rest of this gearbox available to even more applications

2 Likes

I managed to photograph all three cylinders from behind. But, didn’t get quality results equivalent to those filmed from the other direction. Some scoring is detected and will be later filmed once more, using my endoscope.
Since no loss of power was noticable and the scratches not felt through touch, I’ll leave them be

Before filming, I did run the engine, using the borrowed head on the old gasket. I ran it short enough, so as to not overheat the engine. It ran fine at all r.p.m.s tolerable, emitting absolutely no knocking noises. Here’s what test-running with a minimum of hook-ups looks like:

3 Likes

Last week, I found a used engine at a reliable scrapyard and had it loaded in place of a right-hand side rear passenger, by way of forklift, into my Suzuki Wagon R. I intended on only buying a cylinder head. But, they claimed to not having any in stock. The vehicle donating this engine was claimed to have had 194,263 kilometers on its clock. I was, in that case, somewhat hesitant about closing the deal. They also claimed to have had only this particular engine and I was even more reluctant about wasting a long trip. So, I forked over the 300€ required for closing the deal.
Before securing it to the Suzuki’s floor pan, using the front passenger’s seat belt, I removed its valve cover, to see if an ED’s typical Achille’s Heel drivetrain justified the purchase or not. To my pleasant surprise, either this engine was unusually well taken care of or it may be its donor vehicle’s second engine

4 Likes