Daiharris Track/Streeter L200 build.. The quest for hilarity

Yep definitely for the little track we have up here… I imagine a well setup Mira will be pretty fast up here… Going to need Gormsby to give me the low-down on lsds though… I reckon thst will make all the difference…

1 Like

Alright so just a mini update… I’ve been working like a dog so haven’t really had time to do much, but have continued stripping the car down as much as possible…

Have removed quarter panels, front bar, side skirts, bonnet, doors, seats, radiator and radiator support… Doing this has been good because I can look at each piece and work out what I need to replace and what I can use again.

Google has told me that A car called a kancil shares alot of parts with the L200 so I’ve been looking around, and have found some things like brand new headlights, tail lights and random other pieces that I will replace my tired old parts with.

The other thing I’ve been looking into is race seats, there doesn’t seem to be very much space in the cabin so am going to need to research what the slimmest fixed back seats I can buy are, I’m not a big boy so they should be fine…

Alright here’s some updated pics, nothing amazing…

Be safe guys!

And of course the obligatory pug photo…

That’s it for now guys…

3 Likes

I will end up with staggered seats when a composite drivers seat goes in. For now the standard ones have had a heap of bolstering added to the back and aggressive carving with a electric bread knife of the base. For me they sit way to high and though ones sits lower due to the cutting all still needs to come down at least anther 50mm. My steering wheel has been lowered a heap and the wheel is more than a 200mm rearward (dish wheel, longer rack pinion and steering column pivoted down and rearward). Am six foot tall but like a NASCAR close type wheel position.

Nice to see some of us getting a little progress happening - about all I’ve done is reclaim some space around the car putting things away.

1 Like

Again more info that just makes sense ,thankyou. Mr G

1 Like

i had cheapie repco auto technica seats years ago and I made them fit but man they were way to big,

Cheers for the info G, I’m pretty anal about my sitting position As well so I’m gonna have to trial and error to get it correct…

Yep thanks evil, that’s the exact sort of info I need… I guess I will just have to measure exactly how much space there is and then check seat dimensions and shit til I find some thst are small enough…

Alright haven’t updated for ages… I’ve actually been really sick the last few weeks so the cars just sat there, but today I decided to get off him arse and get into it.

So I continued stripping the car down, pulled off the passenger side wheel, calliper, cv shaft, strut to essentially empty that front wheel well, I’ve had some issues with the passenger side guard so getting that shit off will help me attack that…

The other thing I’ve done today is remove aircon filter thing or whatever the fuck it is behind the radiator, so that I can easily get to that other bolt on the exhaust and get that undone…

So my plan is to drop the k frame onto a rolly board thing under the car then lift the front of thr car out of the way and roll the engine and k Frame out…

The same plan to put the cuore k frame in is just reversed, put the k frame with engine and box on the rolly board and roll it in under the car, then use a jack and Jack it into place… I honestly have no idea how close the k frame bolts or whatever will line up but I’ll cross that river when I come to it…

I’ll add pics tomorrow, it was dark by the time I had finished and my phone is terrible in low light conditions so I’ll sort that out tomorrow…

If anyone has put a cuore k frame into an L200 let me know!

Peace!!!

2 Likes

L700 K frame is a no go in an L200. But please prove me wrong. You’d have to split the thing down the middle and add some width. If I could choose I’d put an L251 K frame in so I had proper A arms, but that doesn’t go either.

Glad you’re feeling a bit better. I’ve been working on a biggish uni paper that is almost done. Took the night off to start machining new strut legs (internal flare nut thread, external spring seat adjuster thread and the associated nuts).

2 Likes

Good stuff mate good to hear your feeling better. I always get those exhaust nuts from underneath with an extension on the socket. As Mr Gormsby said I think that the L700 K frame is to wide for the L200. As for the L251 idea Im not sure they even have a Kframe like the L2,5,6,7 etc do. But Ive neber personally looked either.
i have done both in getting the engines and gearboxes out. I ahve an engine crane and prefer to pull them out through the top. Its just a matter of choice really.

I am pretty sure the L251 engine mounts to the body/rails and not a K-frame

I also personally find it much easier to use a crane and pop the engine out that way instead of dropping the kframe… Extra effort for no gain IMHO

I’ve been keeping my eye out for a L251 to have a look underneath. I have L251 A arms. The front inner pivot is a good match, but the back would need to mount behind the L200 rear frame pin.

Having pulled engines/boxes in and out a perhaps even a hundred times in an L200 (yes no lie - in the early 90s I looked after a fleet of them used as couriers in Brisbane and did dozens and dozens of clutch replacements) I have attempted every possible combination of pulling engine, box and engine with box. Crane or endless chain over a beam is the best bet. Lifting the car off the K frame is a lot more work, even when I have a hoist I won’t do it that way (and I do have a hoist at work).

Yep so the more reading I do the more it seems that using the standard Ed mounts for the ej is the easiest way to go, I’m just unsure as to how the ej box is going to fit… This L200 that I’ve got came with no gearbox that’s why it was so cheap, so I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it…

I was just trying to use the l7 k frame because I figured it would be easier to bolt the whole thing up, but obviously if that doesn’t work then I’ll just mix and match things til it all fits. This is becoming more and more like ny old 180sx where it was just parts from a million different Nissan’s in the front end to achieve the result I wanted hahaha

And thanks for the good wishes boys, I’ve actually had pretty severe and depression for about 12 years and whilst I’m generally ok, sometimes it just gets a bit overwhelming and I have to back off everything and recuperate…

On a side note a guy locally is selling a 4 door L200 for 500 bucks with a roady, so I’m gonna go have a look at that and if it isn’t full of rust I’m gonna grab that to grow the collection…

My parents actually live on a yacht and sail around Australia but the engine seized or some shit about 3 months ago so they’ve been living downstairs at my house, all fine and good but my mum sold her car when she retired so if I pixk up this 4 door I’m gonna give it to her to drive around til the boat is fixed again…

Alright thanks for all the help guys, I’ll update what happens with the 4 door when I go look at it this arvo and I’ll get some pics of what I’ve done on the 2 door…

Drive safe peeps!

2 Likes

I have done the M100 box into a L200. Was not to hard. Grafted two clutch cables out of the one by tig welding something from the ef cable end onto the ej cable end (forgot which end and didn’t take pics). Gear change swap to rods all fitted up but had to alter the hole in the tunnel. No mods to the K frame needed. Did take pics after fitting and if I can find them will post. It was a worthwhile swap and I wish I had gone that way myself, and prob would except that I have the two trxx LSD boxes. L700 box is something like 4.2 final drivec while the M100 version is 4.5 or 4.7.

Have been there with cronic depression - I understand that whole sort of thing

2 Likes

Yeah cheers man, the depression and anxiety aren’t great, they sort of feed off each other… One day at a time brother, one day at a time…

1 Like

So a bit of news, the 4 door one locally got sold straight away so I missed that, but today I made friends on Facebook with some Malaysian dude that has an turbo L2 with an ej, and after talking to him a bit he seemed to believe that I wouldn’t be able to run the cuore front brakes and hubs on my L2, no matter what I do…

It was my understanding that I could mount the ej and box on the L2 k frame and engine mounts, then run the cuore halfshafts/knuckles/hubs/brakes…

Was there a breakdown in communication or am I just dead wrong? Hahaha

Have a look at my thread “not quite track”. You’ll seet the pics of Cuore hubs and brakes (same as Sirion) fitted to my L200. Use the L700 control arms.

I’ve found the Malaysian knowledge base to be poor, unreliable and comments exagerated. Would like to know why they think they won’t fit? You have to use the L700 strut too as the bolt holes are further spaced. Heck I’ve done this with Copen bits but you had to run 15" rims to clear the brake caliper.

1 Like

Yeah Gormsby my knowledge is completely based on your build to be honest, your thread is extremely helpful… I think the English is just bad, I tried asking him why it won’t work because it works in my head but maybe I was just missing something…

So yeah, thanks again bro… Your thread dis extrenely detailed and whilst I know basically everything there is to know about Nissan’s 90’s and up my daihatsu knowledge is minuscule…

On a side note I’m finally picking up the engine box and hubs and shit this weekend, I don’t own a engine crane myself so need to borrow one from a mate, then it can all start proper happening.

Thanks again Gormsby!

1 Like

I also have done this on my move but it was all installed on my mira first and now transfered to my move and I have to agree that the information that comes from Malaysia is a bit concerning sometimes. i think it can be somewhat exagerated and I has seen information that also is very contradictory.

1 Like

Yeah alright sweet… Well I paid for that EJ today and am picking it up on Sunday so that’s when shit can get happening… Tbh I’d like to clean up the engine bay before i put the ej in, so I think I’m gonna stick the engine on the stand and clean it up and degrease it properly, I’ve always loved super clean engine bays but I’ve never had the motivation to do that… Hahahaha

Just wondering what people have done fr their turbo manifolds? I’m assuming you can’t just buy one off the shelf but I’m not much of a welder so would need a custom one done up… Foes anyone know if there’s some good photos of one I can send to my welder mate so he csn get some ideas?