Daiharris Track/Streeter L200 build.. The quest for hilarity

Yeah ok, cheers for that info… I figured I was going to have to run a different cv than the l700 but we’ll cross that bridge when i come to it… My plan was to run 90mm flares each side so that might help with fitments issues but I won’t really know until I get it all dummied up…

Thanks for your help bro… Much appreciated…

Yes you’ll need one L200 drive shaft and either a custom one or it is possible to do a hybrid shaft if you have a jackshaft (I have a couple of spare non lsd jackshafts and can help out there if really needed). 90mm flares, hmmm. What size tires? A quick guess and I’d say a 70mm flare would be needed for a 225/50/15. Have a look at my thread which has picks of 195/50/15 on the front. Now your L700 control on a L200 K frame will get all back close to normal alignment but with 15mm extra track plus or minus 5mm. You could use early Ford Fiesta or Sirion M100 control arms and either of those might push a 175/50/13 out to the edge of a 90mm flare, but with absolutely massive negative camber or poor scrub if camber correct attempted (you could move strut towers out to solve). Before you get to that have a good think about tire size. I would advise against going my route with 15". It is so much work that, in retrospect, I’d just build a tube frame car if I could have a redo.

1 Like

My theory on the big flares is its better to have spare room there for tyres if I need it. Initially the plan is to run the ns2r’s in 185/60/14 on the l700 brakes but I’ll need to see how they hold up at my local track, it’s not super heavy on brakes but because we do several laps at a time fade can be an issue…

I’ve never run a fwd car on this track so will need to trial an error as far as camber goes, the 180 had 5.5 degrees on the front which was seasons of trial and error, and a lot of analysis with the heat gun… Alot of this is going to be learning experience due to the fact that fwd cars set up so different to rwd, so undoubtedly I’ll get alot wrong before I get it right…

I actually may take you up on the jackshaft offer, although I’ve got no problem with going the custom shaft route if need be, but again we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it…

As always thanks for the help bro… :slight_smile:

Neg 2.5 camber is about the limit. Any more and you will give up way to much traction. It will turn by getting good weight transfer to the front - soft front springs and rear hard.

L700 brakes, might be okay for the road but might not quite cut it for sprints (for the ordinary person starting out they might, but with your experience I think not), def not for mulit lap anything. In genunie Daihatsu stuff aim for Copen but, or course, check they fit under your rims.

To get away without having to do a custom shaft I was able to play around with diff shafts (no grease or bellows) in the car and no spring to move it through full travel. Eventually I found a set up that was 5-10mm off fitting and by flipping the the end cup (that the outer balls sit in) I was able to get a factory shaft to fit (may have had to machine a couple of millimeters off on outer beyond the circlip).

2 Likes

@Mr_Gormsby you genius I played around with a heap of shafts b4 getting the jack shaft and there was one I was really close with also, I never even thought of flipping that part in the cv. I think if I had of it would have need spot on. Funny thing is I threw out all the old shafts except the cut one so I will always know what length I need should I need it in future.

1 Like

Sorry Jimmy I thought I’d shared that info with you? Can’t say it was “me alone”, Tim was there right through it and we had a 20 liter bucket full of my shafts and a 20 litre bucket of his shafts (he had some funny ones).

1 Like

All good anyway mate :thumbsup: it made me research and find a solution which was good. I can be quite thick mided sometimes so a bit of brain exercise helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright so today I went down and removed the box from the new engine as the clutch has to be done… One thing you’ll notice in pictures is you’ll notice the crane and a hammer in lots of photos. I only have on small kidney so I can’t eat very much protein at all which means I am exceptionally weak hahahha… So I’m always bashing things with hammers and using the crane to move things cause its easier than struggling hahahaha

Alright pics!

My makeshift workbench with the cuore k frame and engine on it

The wiring harness that was wrapped around the engine… Going to have to sort through it all and talk to my auto electrician mate because I’m bad at wiring and he will do it for a hundred bucks hahaha

Finally got the gearbox off, I missed a bolt that was hidden in behind the engine mount bracket, finally got it sorted though

And finally the old ed10 sitting in the trailer to go to the tip… If anyone wants anything off it let me know, If you pay for shipping I’ll gladly box it up and send it off to you…

Alright that’s it for now, I’ve done the clutch on my 180 before so it can’t be all that different… Once I do that I’ll bolt it back up then continue to clean the engine bay ready for the engine to go in…

Drive safe peeps!

3 Likes

Forgot the pug picture. She ripped the fin off her whale toy so she was sad.

3 Likes

I see your pug and raise you a Kelpie X

3 Likes

I Shih-Tzu not :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I have a Kelpie cross as well!!!

3 Likes

1 Like

If you do go to toss it, consider perhaps keeping that front engine mount and keep the flywheel. Nice work. It’s exciting progress.

what is your location?

1 Like

North Queensland bro… If you want anything thars easily shippable I’ll defs pull it off and box it up.

Yeah alright cheers man… Good thinking.

yeh I will pass :slight_smile:

Alright so minor update today… Waiting for my clutch alignment tool to get back from my mate, so decided to take off the intake manifold and whatnot so I can continue to clean the engine up… Gasket was fucked so gonna need a full kit or something from somewhere…

Alright here’s the pics…

Intake off

Gasket fuxked

And intake off… So much wiring and shit I’m gonna clean up…

So yeah that’s it for now… Going to jump on the net and find a gasket set now and whilst I wait for that to come I can degrease the engine and clean it up a bit more… Also want to redo the rocker cover so need to sort out colours and do that…

Also I went to my mates house the other night so I could play with his American Staffy. His name is Remi and he is a good boy…

Drive safe peeps!

3 Likes

There are two EJ-DE variants that I have seen. One has the front water jacket covered, the other has a pipe taht goes to a heater hose (like I think I see on yours). Point here being if from factory they block it off on some models it should be safe to do so on all models.