Everyday Sirion GTVi

Hi, I’m Beanz and this is my M100RS Sirion build thread. I’ve owned this car for a few months now and while its been a lot of fun.

I picked up a set of crusty SSR Integral A2’s (ET40 15x6.5) off Facebook marketplace and spent a few weekends sanding, bogging and painting them. I then got them wrapped in a set of 195/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE003’s.

When I went to fit my newly refurbished rims on the car I found that the rear wheels interfered with some extrusions of the rear torsion beam :expressionless:. When I picked up the wheels I only though to test the front fitment, thinking that if the front fit, then surely the back would too. I did some digging here on L2D and found several posts confirming that I would need to either run spacers or take a Dremel to my suspension in order to make my rims fit.

I had previously read through Oropi_dai’s M100 Sirion build and remembered that he’d run 15x6.5 rims with a +34 offset and hadn’t encountered any clearance issues with his torsion beam, however he did say that he planned on shaving it a bit just to gain an extra mm or two of addition clearance. I had also seen that TPG was also running +34 15x6.5 rims on his beastly track M100.

With this knowledge and some math I figured that a set of 8mm spacers would fix my clearance issues without pushing out the rear track too much.

I test-fitted my rims with these spacers when they arrived and confirmed that I now had good fitment both front and rear. I also plan to install some extended stud bolts and get some extended lug nuts.

Big shoutout to everyone I’ve linked here, super helpful having this forum to troubleshoot the issues I ran into. I’ve got the bolts and nuts ordered, so everything should be together within the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to giving more updates,
Beanz

6 Likes

Glad the forum info helped!
Do you have some pictures of the whole ride?
UPDATE: found your ‘welcome’ post , looking good!

One thing I liked was either LED indicator globes or there are some that have a metallic finish on the outside, but still light up orange. Installing these takes away from the “oranging” of the upper part of the headlight.
Since yours is all silver - I think they’d make the front end look just that little bit nicer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. Your GTVi is bonkers and I will be shamelessly copying what you’ve done.

I’ll see if I can pick up a pair of those bulbs from Repco this weekend, I thnkin you’re right that they’d clean up the front ends look :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Hello, been a while since my last update but here’s the progress on my GTVi. I actually had these on back in July but was super busy till now.

A couple weeks after I got the tires on I also added the same extended stud bolts to the front hubs as I didn’t feel that there was enough thread engagement on the stock studs for my new wheels. Better safe than sorry.

I’m also considering a set of lowering springs and then possibly a gearbox rebuild as I think the synchros on 1st and second are on their way out. I’m also on the fence about a D-Sport LSD, and would appreciate any advice on whether it’s worth it or not for a car that’s predominately driven to and from work.

Cheers,
Beanz

4 Likes

There is a good discussion on lowering springs and pro/con of an LSD here:

My opinion is, that I wouldn’t want to daily drive my sirion with its LSD and suspension as it is day to day on the streets. I would look elsewhere first for driving/handling performance on the streets before getting an LSD. Shocks, Springs, suspension Bushes, Sway bar(s), chassis bracing, changing the drivers seat position can change the feel, shifter bushes.

Other gear-related benefits would be a change to the gearset or final drive. For a street driven car you may not want to go too low a final drive as you’ll be at higher rpm when cruising at 100km/h. But there are a few options out there, and let’s be honest the factory gearing is aimed at economy.

2 Likes

Thanks, will hold off on an LSD and will heed your advice and pick up bushes & springs next. I’ve also been looking at a set of Compact Motorsport’s performance cams and I’d be really interested from hearing from anyone who’s got a set in their k3. I’ll be heading to my first track day at Ruapuna circuit this summer so hopefully ill have an update for you before long.

3 Likes

I replaced the bushings on my M101 Sirion with PU ones from siberianbushing.com, I got the full set - front ARB x6, front bottom arms x 2, rear beam x2 for about £60 delivered. They are stiffer than standard rubber, but not ridiculously so. Its still compliant over poor road surfaces. The front bushings are easy to change, I paid a garage to do the rear beam ones and glad I did, apparently they were a pig of a job to do!

3 Likes